Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

I'm melting!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm melting!

Ahh, the weather today is just disgusting. The temperature inside alone is (in US language) 96 degrees, and the humidity is gross. I really hate the heat, and would trade for snow anyday! We have a swimming pool, but at this time of the day it's far too hot to use it. I'd burn in five minutes outside! (this face shows the speed of sunburn!) We are actually the official skin cancer capital of the world here. I'm thinking of heading out to the shops just to experience some air con, but the thought of taking my toddler and getting into the car, which is parked in the full sun, makes me cringe...

We're also in the middle of the worst drought in recorded history - dam levels are at about 22% or something, so there's no relief in sight. Yuck.

Wish I could send some of this over to you guys...

Yuck. I'm sure our Colorado residents would gladly ship some of the feet of snow they've been getting!

We'll be there soon enough here in South Texas.

Jenn

Comment

No air conditioning???? Is that common in your part of the world? If so, it just got knocked WAY down on our list of vacation spots!

DH's cousin is finishing training this year (did med school in Aus. & residency here) and is going back down-under. He's been offered jobs in Brisbane, Perth, Adilaide and Sydney. Not sure which one he's taking just yet -- but at least we'll have free lodgings somewhere (with AC I hope!).

I hope you get some relief soon!

Comment

No, most people have air con these days. Unfortunately DH is one of the few crazy people in the world who doesn't like it. "It's not natural!" I swear there is something wrong with the Japanese metabolism. His parents came over a couple of weeks ago, from the middle of Japanese winter, replete with snow, and complained it was "cold" here because the sun wasn't out. Maximums were in the 80's, minimums no lower than low 70's. Would you consider that "cold"!?

When we bought this house last year, it came with one air con in one room (not our bedroom ) and I haven't been able to convince DH to get more yet, due to the other expenses of new home ownership. He's not here during the day, so he doesn't have much of an idea. He's off working in an air conditioned hospital...

Heat makes me cranky.

Comment

Heat makes me cranky.
          Then I'm guessing your hubby will get it soon enough. Cranky Wife Syndrome sometimes helps the learning process.

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by tenshi
            No, most people have air con these days. Unfortunately DH is one of the few crazy people in the world who doesn't like it. "It's not natural!" I swear there is something wrong with the Japanese metabolism. His parents came over a couple of weeks ago, from the middle of Japanese winter, replete with snow, and complained it was "cold" here because the sun wasn't out. Maximums were in the 80's, minimums no lower than low 70's. Would you consider that "cold"!?

When we bought this house last year, it came with one air con in one room (not our bedroom ) and I haven't been able to convince DH to get more yet, due to the other expenses of new home ownership. He's not here during the day, so he doesn't have much of an idea. He's off working in an air conditioned hospital...

Heat makes me cranky.
            Drink lots of water and do cool compresses?

This reminds me of my mil. She doesn't like the AC either. She's deathly afraid of drafts and any artificial air movement. I'm tired of arguing about it. I crank the thing on. I too get cranky when it's too hot. It drains every ounce of energy you've got!
            married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Originally posted by tenshi
              Heat makes me cranky.
              My husband had a/c installed in our first home b/c he was afraid to live w/me pregnant w/o it.

He still says it's the best $2K he ever spent.

Comment

Robyn,

Come on up to Minnesota, my friend. The St. Paul Winter Carnival starts this week. If hanging around outside in ten degree weather with a bunch of men dressed as weird Nordic trolls doesn't cool you off, nothing will.

Kelly
                In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I'm an a/c hater most of the time but 96 degrees with high humidity? Nothing could peel me away from the vents.

Comment

Ah, Minnesota sounds like my type of place! Just thinking about all your troll men in the snow cools me down. Does it get hot in summer?

Or maybe I should cast my mind back to the naked festival in Japan, where men rush the temple dressed only in an g-string type loin cloth...

No, actually I think I'll stick with your snow fantasies!

I'm insisting that we buy a portable air con. DH wasn't happy, but DD is not sleeping at all during the day because her room is like a sauna. A tired, screaming, tantrum-throwing toddler is not pleasant to have around in this kind of heat. Maybe I should try more screaming and tantrum-throwing myself!

Please help me out - tell me more of your cold and freezing stories...

Comment

It is currently 21 degrees F with a wind chill of 8 degrees F - does that help?
                      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

OK- Minnesota wins. again.

Jenn

Comment

Alison & Tenshi...you can add my in laws to the "wacky AC haters club"!!!
                          When FIL was here and Sept 1 came around he started wearing long wool under-ware under his Pjs and clothes!!! Now think about it, PHX AZ's avg Sept temp is 97F or 30C. I Guess back in his country it starts to cool off then, so out of habit and IMO senility he did the same here, refusing to budge when DH told him he was nuts and should take it off!! I told DH to have his dad's thyroid checked, because it just isn't right for a man to have on long sleeves , full length trousers w/ long wool underwear under neath and sit out side in 100+ degree weather!!!

Comment

Wool long underwear in that heat? Wow.

Comment

Sounds nice and itchy to me!

I don't like the AC if it's pleasant out, nice breeze, under 90 degrees. But Chicago's humid and icky in the summer.

They're nuts here--it's either extreme AC or the heater gets cranked up. No one believes in opening a window here. I've been yelled at many times by bus drivers who don't want the windows open because they've got one or the other on full blast. I just can't take it in the winter when the heater is on at 90 degrees in my office and there is NO MOVEMENT OF AIR. I'm serious, they set the heat at 90!
                              married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Working...
                              X