Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

clothing question - OK or not OK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clothing question - OK or not OK

We get the mini boden catalog (such CUTE stuff for kids - I still haven't bought anything but I love to browse!) and I saw a really cute spring/summer skirt in the catalog. I could fit into a 14/16 girls. OK to do or not? It's definitely not "teeny boppish". . .it's just a 3 tier skirt with some crochet or something.

It's definitely cheaper than something I would find in my size but I don't want to have neon lights flashing over my head when I wear it either. . .

is it one of these?

http://www.bodenusa.com/s.asp?segid=5&g ... irts&gen=1
    Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

My friend in Boston used to buy in the kid's department all the time. Cheaper - and it still fit. She frequented the boys coats though. Nice pea coats.

I say go for it if you think it's appropriate. It's just clothing by another name.
      Angie
      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

In my browsing of Boden and my frequent looks at their sales rack, the girls is not much different that the women's clothes. They definately are NOT teen boper, and if they fit and you like it go for it. I'm jealous as I'm a closet Boden fan, just can't fit the bill.

Comment

I have bought several items from the children's section. I also buy most of my running shoes and coats from the section. I say, if it fits and still looks good....go for it!

Comment

I used to manage for Talbots Kids. I can't even begin to tell you how many petite framed women would buy the big girls clothing, especially the coats. Today there are many items out there IMO that look too mature for young girls...I hate that the fashion industry, seems to hurry up our children(mostly girls), to look like little adults! I mean somethings are cute and tasteful, while you really have to question other things?

Comment

LOVE LOVE LOVE Boden -- kids and womens.

I agree with the previous posts...depends on the length.

I just saw a mermaid nightgown DD would ADORE in the new spring line -- but it's 34 dollars right now. Yeah, sorry, that's NOT going to happen. I'll wait until it goes on sale or tell one of the grandparents.
              Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

I agree with Lily, it really depends on the skirt. Back in my size 2 days, I used to buy stuff in kid section all the time (especially t-shirts and sweaters).

Comment

Originally posted by *Lily*
                  Nothing quite captures the innocence of youth and confidence that a great citizen is in the making when I see a baby wearing a "wife beater" that says, "My Mommy's a MILF".
                  That's sad.
                  Cristina
                  IM PGY-2

Comment

It's a top seller. How sad....
                    married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Originally posted by MissCrabette
                      Originally posted by *Lily*
                      Nothing quite captures the innocence of youth and confidence that a great citizen is in the making when I see a baby wearing a "wife beater" that says, "My Mommy's a MILF".
                      That's sad.
                      I've never seen one of these but it makes my skin crawl.
                      What could these people POSSIBLY be thinking?

It boggles the mind.
                      There should be some kind of restrictions on procreation. Unbelievable.
                      Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Gymboree, Hanna Anderson, Janie and Jack, mini boden, and Talbots Kids (there are probably more that I'm missing right now) have 2 things in common: EXPENSIVE and their clothes permit your child to look like well, a CHILD!!!

I can see that it is going to cost $$$ to make sure that my daughters look like little girls. The 4t stuff in some stores is scary. I returned a pair of Gap jeans in 4T this winter after they appeared to be low-rise when she tried them on! Sorry, I WANT my 3 year old daughter's jeans to be hiked up to near her armpits!

Comment

hmmm, i've done this once, i was pregnant with DS and my sister had a really cute pink fleece for age 12, I fitted into it until my 38 week of pregnancy comfortably.

I think it depends on the skirt, if it isn't an obviously childs skirt and it fits wear it!

Comment

Off topic again, I know....but the low rise jeans are killing me. My daughter is in a size 8 now and I can't find things for her to wear easily. She rides horses and all the jeans are spangled and low rise. I ended up buying "plain" jeans in the boy's department -- but God help me if she finds out. She'll be so embarrassed.......

I'm going to check with some of the places you mentioned for "real" kid clothes. I hope they carry larger sizes. So many places only go up to 6-7 -- after that, I guess you are supposed to wear the hoochy-coochy clothes.
                            Angie
                            Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                            Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

We've had the same issue with jeans -- sometimes she wears hers for *gasp* the sorts of activities you need jeans for. Gap does have a plain jean but you have to look for them. I've found the Nordstrom brand jeans to be plain with a reasonable rise. They changed their cut this year and the news ones didn't fit her but the rise was ok. I keep an eye out for the prior years' cut at consignment stores. The ones I have bought previously from the consignment store last another season so I think they wear well.

Comment

Working...
                              X