Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Recurring transactions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recurring transactions

How many of you subscribe to various services that you don't use regularly but never get around to cancelling? I can't be the only person who does this. I know it's easy to ignore these small charges and delay unsubscribing, but all those little charges add up. Will anyone confess?
    Cristina
    IM PGY-2

Guilty- currently paying for non-functioning voicemail for $3.99 a month because I can't remember to call Time Warner.

Jenn

Comment

heck ya. SO many. I could probably build a school in Africa for all of the "small monthly payments" I've blown.

Comment

Too many to admit to!
        Luanne
        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Netflicks ($14.00) when I'm using my available screen time to follow TV shows.......I should cancel for those 6 mos or downgrade the plan at least.

Runescape for the kids and DH ($15.00). Now only my son's account should be active but I keep paying instead of cancelling the memberships.

Oh.....renting the cable modem ($2.75) when I already own one. (I couldn't find it when we first moved in, and now I'm loath to set things up again with my original modem. I mean....what if my internet service didn't work immediately? What if I was without a connection for *hours*?! )
          Angie
          Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
          Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

We pay a linebacker fee each month. It's something like $4.00, but I am morally opposed to paying it (even though I do) because if there's something wrong with the phone line, isn't it the phone company's job to fix it?! They say if I don't pay the $4.00 each month that it costs $50 for them to come out, and $50/half hour for repairs. It doesn't make sense!
            married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I'm thinking about adding a $4.00 sewer line insurance charge to my gas bill -- because I *know* that sucker is going soon. We've had to have tree roots pulled out 3 times in the last year. I wonder if it's fraud to sign up for something like that when you know you have a pre-existing condition. I also wonder if they actualy cover everything - or if it's just some bizarre tack on fee people sign up for whenthey get the gas account.

Hmmm.. I'm actually considering more unnecessary fees, now. This thread is going to bankrupt me!
              Angie
              Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite

Comment

Netflix for me too. Sometimes I get more than my moneys worth and sometimes (months on end ) I do not.

re: the Linebacker -- the phone company is responsible for the line up to the point where it enters your residence. After that it is all yours. I usually do the linebacker for the first few months living somewhere and then cancel it. Also, if you get a really nice tech to come and take a look, they will sometimes fudge a little if the problem was in your house (depending on what it is). Can you tell I used to work for the phone company?

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade
                  I'm thinking about adding a $4.00 sewer line insurance charge to my gas bill -- because I *know* that sucker is going soon. We've had to have tree roots pulled out 3 times in the last year. I wonder if it's fraud to sign up for something like that when you know you have a pre-existing condition. I also wonder if they actualy cover everything - or if it's just some bizarre tack on fee people sign up for whenthey get the gas account.
                  I don't know... But what I do know is that there was something in the line between the house and the city's line at my parents' house and it cost them over 10k to get it fixed. They had to dig up the yard and yadda yadda yadda.

Comment

Holy smokes, Angie -- $4 a month? Would that cover a full repair?

As someone who shelled out $7K for a new sewer line, I would sign up for that in a heartbeat. That was a painful one. :disappointed:

Comment

Yup, I agree with Nellie. If you can get by with $4/month, DO IT! It'll save you thousands in the end.

Comment

According to the little flyer, the four bucks per month buys you a 5K line repair. I was thinking it was worth it. Maybe I'll be the one repair all the other customers are paying for .... :!
                        Angie

Comment

Netflix here too, although we did downgrade our membership the last time we "re-signed" and we are trying to use it more. Its probably still not worth the $12/month we pay.

That is the only one I can think of right now...
                          Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I do it with Netflix because I don't watch the DVDs fast enough. They usually sit on my desk for at least a week before I remember to watch them. Sometimes I even send them back without watching them because I can't remember why I rented them in the first place.
                            Cristina
                            IM PGY-2

Comment

We don't have any of those recurring transaction fees for things that we don't use because I'm cheap.
                              ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                              -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Working...
                              X