Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Birthday present for a couple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birthday present for a couple

My good college friends have birthdays coming up in a few weeks. They are engaged and their birthdays are a week apart, so I thought of getting them one couple gift. I don't really know what though. I asked if they want something from the registry and he said "no" and she said "whatever". I'm looking to spend about $100-150. I want something cool and interesting. I'm not sure if it should be wedding related or not.

Background info on the couple:
    He's in computers, she's finishing MBA. They live together at his place in NY (except when she's in school in Pittsburg). They're typical city people (like to go out, not too outdoorsy).

Thanks.

What about some magazines they don't have?

Honestly when we didn't have kids we loved GC to our favorite restaurants -- or a bottle of wine we couldn't afford.
    Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Don't know about magazines but I was thinking of a GC to a restaurant or a bottle of wine that would be ready for one of their anniversaries. I was hoping that there might be something else I haven't thought of.

Comment

Do they have high-end coffeemakers/gizmos on their registry (I think that type of thing is perfect for most urban sophisticates) and might be in the 100-150 range.

I also like to hunt on the online shops of MOMA, the Chicago Museum of Contemporary Art, etc. as they often carry cool, unique lines of homegoods and other cool stuff.

A third option might be one of those wine reference books - - I think a friend of mine just got the Sotheby's one and was delighted.

Something I rarely buy for myself but wish I had are some nice, high-end houseplants. Obviously, you would need to know if they have a green-thumb but I was lusting after a lovely jasmine plant at Smith & Hawken last week . . .

I have also gotten very into the whole "mixology" thing. I would personally love a cocktail shaker (ridged ones work best for ice crushing), set of retro glasses, the ingredients for a favorite mixed drink(someone was raving to me about Hendricks gin) and/or compilation of favorite drink recipes from my friends (if you need suggestions for a compilation I can give you a few from my most recent cooking club "cocktails & appetizers" gathering).

Comment

How about these? I got them for my friends when they got engaged.

http://www.uncommongoods.com/item/item. ... emId=12199

Jenn

Comment

As someone who has a birthday two days away from my spouse, I suggest getting them separate gifts. They are separate people after all, and everyone from now until the end of time will get them "couple gifts" for their birthdays and other holidays. Hey, I get it; it's easy.

We got you:

1. Medical school application fee coverage
            2. Interview cost coverage
            3. A portable DVD player. You know, since you travel so much [Chad]

Seriously. I'm not buying the couples gifts...They are always more for one of the pair it seems.
            Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Heidi, I totally hear you. My parents' birthdays are 3 days apart and I've been getting them one big present for years. My dad doesn't seem to mind, as long as my mom likes it. :>

On of the reasons I was leaning toward a couples gift is because the guy is impossible to shop for (even his fiance agreed). He likes food and cooking. We've been taking classes together for years. We have also done the paying for the other's class as a present thing in the past. I was thinking of stopping by WilliamSonoma to see if they have some manly gadget in my price range. But his kitchen is tiny and the gadget can't take up too my space.

Comment

Okay, then what about this?

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products ... 5Fsrc=None

I want one myself!

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquisher

I want one myself!
                  Ooooh Heidi, I LOVE Williams Sonoma!!!

Comment

Originally posted by madeintaiwan

I want one myself!
                    Ooooh Heidi, I LOVE Williams Sonoma!!!
                    Me too!

Or, Vishenka, here is something cool. Neither are very small, but they are both kind of manly! I am partial to the grill myself, but...

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products ... B2D665C4D4

Comment

Heidi, I love it, but it'll take up about half of his counter space.

Comment

Originally posted by Vishenka69
                        Does it have to go out on the counter, or can they pull it out when they want to use it?

I would die with a small kitchen. My kitchen isn't too small here, but it still feels like it to me. My one day dreams - let me just tell you how much of a focus the kitchen plays into that. :>

Comment

Originally posted by Vishenka69
                          Does it have to go out on the counter, or can they pull it out when they want to use it?

I would die with a small kitchen. My kitchen isn't too small here, but it still feels like it to me. My one day dreams - let me just tell you how much of a focus the kitchen plays into that. :>
                          Unfortunately little counter space also comes with little storage. I know (from my own experience) that once something goes on the top shelf it stays there semi-permanently.

My dreams also involve a big kitchen and appliances that are younger than me.

Comment

If they live in NY, I would say a gift certificate to a restaurant or a couples spa. Since they are getting married they will likely get all the kitchen stuff and it would be nice for them to do something together before they get married. What about a cooking class and wine tasting course?
                            Danielle
                            Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

I second the restaurant gift certificate, that is something DH and I would love to get and would truly be for both of us (assuming we used it together )
                              Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Working...
                              X