Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Good Luggage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Luggage

DH will be traveling lots w/this new job and wants a new garment bag. I've been searching, but really can't stomach some of these prices. I know that quality can be had for a reasonable price.

What kind of luggage do you have?

Do you like it?

Was it expensive?

Have you checked overstock.com?

I've had cheaper suitcases and bags fall apart. PITA.

Garment bags can get heavy and awkward to carry. At least the Eddie Bauer garment bag we had was that way. It was too roomy and would make my back ache. DH likes our smaller suitcase that has a built-in garment bag (place to put and lock in hangers) that zips around or is separated off from the other part of the suitcase. I prefer that option and if he also has a briefcase or carry-on he can hook it on the handle of the roller suitcase.

ETA: I looked at overstock.com and saw roller garment bags. Good idea! Just have a shoulder strap is not enough.

Comment

Hey Jenn, I'll go out and look at DH's in the garage. He has an awesome garmet bag/suitcase that meets the caary on size requirements. He has used it for mutiple trips and it is great! I know he got it from e-bags, so tomorrow AM I'll see what brand it is!

Comment

DH has a TravelPro that a suit fits in, he used it tons when he interviewed for residency b/c he could take his suit without too much wrinkle and not have the check his bag. Not sure how much it cost, his parents bought it.
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Jenn, I'm sorry to say that after three years of weekly travel I learned that you really do get what you pay for.

I had two "name brand" suitcases- both from eBags that literally fell apart- one in the airport. One was a TravelPro and one was a Samsonite.

The best garment bag we have ever had was from Lands End. Totally indestructible.

Things he wants- expandable, FOUR wheels not just two. If he gets one that has the handle that extends, make sure that it's a sturdy handle- plastic breaks after living in subfreezing temperatures. Make sure to get the packing bags from eBags so that TSA doesn't go rifling through his undies- makes it easier to pack and easier to differentiate cleans from dirties. Make sure he has two of everything- one set of toiletries for home, one for work. Soft-sided suitcases also mean exposed to everything- rain, snow, spills.

If he's there long enough- if he has things that need to be drycleaned have the hotel do it- it's way easier than trying to get it all done on the few 'at home' days.

If I think of anything else, I'll post.

Jenn

Comment

4 years ago we got Polo set from overstock. One of the suitcases is destoyed and the others are hanging by a thread. In the past 4 years, we probably took them on the road about 20 times (not all at once though). DH is dying for some Tumi. I told him that we'll check out outlet sales after he starts making real money.

My parents got luggage from Target and it started falling apart after the first trip.

Comment

I got DH a Tumi garment bag (Metro series?) at a travel shop in Boston during a clearance sale. I think it was around $150 dollars for a $300 bag. He doesn't travel tons - but he used it on interviews and he takes 6-8 business trips a year plus vacations.

The sucker looks brand new - and it's 4 years old. I'd say it wears well. It holds 4 suits (officially) but we've crammed it with a weekend of clothes for both of us. It has lots of pockets and a strap. With new regulations though - you have to check the garment bags. He used to be able to carry it on, but no more. That could be an issue for your DH if he'll be jumping on and off a lot of planes. Maybe they make smaller ones?
              Angie
              Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
              Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I've never personally had a Tumi but a former colleague had one that he used endlessly and it never looked used.
                Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Tumis are great. Well worth the $$$. I have a set that I got on sale at Nordstrom Rack. The pieces are dark green, so I suspect no one wanted wanted them in that color. They're sturdy, and the compartments and pockets MAKE SENSE!

We have a Samsonite garment bag. It's SO heavy and it doesn't have wheels, so it's like tattooing a strap right into your shoulder.
                  married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I'm totally convinced that Tumi is the best thing out there. I just wish I could now find someone to sponsor my way to ownership.

Comment

Tumi is the best. I'll throw my hat into the ring for this brand.

:ra: :ra:
                      Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

DH's Tumi briefcase is fantastic. It looks brand new and has had at least 2 years of heavy use.

Comment

here it is Jenn...

http://www.delseyusa.com/homepage.html#

I went out to the garage and checked the brand today.He's had this since 2001 and it has traveled a lot and it has stayed in excellent shape. We went through e-bag , and I think we looked up coupon codes or purchased a certain amt to get some sort of savings.

Here's another link to the Smart Money Magazine's article that researched bags for frequent business travelers.

http://www.smartmoney.com/mag/index....mber2005-carry

Comment

Thanks Suz. I went to ebags and found a Delsey that looks like it should handle everything he wants. Between the smartmoney article (my friend used to work for them), the customer reviews of the item on the ebag site, the guarantee on the item, and your husband's satisfaction (considering that he's ... particular - right? , I figure it's a good choice.

I'm sure Tumi would have been fabulous as well, but my husband is not careful w/things -- I'll have an easier time stomaching the replacement w/the deal I got on this.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Comment

Working...
                            X