Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Is this an unreasonable request?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this an unreasonable request?

My husband has to be in a wedding this spring (out of state). Obviously, we can't all attend unless we have a sitter (have 2 young kids). I mentioned that we could fly his mom up there, too, and she could watch the girls while we are at the wedding. His response? What? I don't think it is that unreasonable. She adores her grandkids, is retired, and doesn't see them that much anyway since we are out of state. He said he thought it was crazy to ask her to come up there and not go to any of the activities and just watch the girls.

My mom would jump at the chance to see her grandkids if she had any, even if only watching them like that. But I guess it depends from person to person, because I'm not sure I could say the same thing about my fiance's mom. Even if your MIL wouldn't mind, it seems the idea bothers your husband enough that he wouldn't even ask. I'm sorry I can't give you any advice.
    Cristina
    IM PGY-2

Comment

I truly think that it depends on the grandparent.

We are moving to Scotland in the spring and DH's parents are flying (from Canada) to watch the munchkins in July for a wedding....mine won't watch them on a Saturday night and are only 5 minutes away!

If you think that she would enjoy it, why not? Maybe you could mention it to her and test the water and see how she reacts?

Have fun at the wedding ...

Comment

She might actually enjoy it. I doubt she wouldn expect to go to the activities because she isn't invited to the wedding.
        Luanne
        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

How about grandma flies to your house and watches kiddos there?

Possible benefits:

1) Saves hotel costs for gram (or whoever would pay)
          2) Keeps kids in a familiar environment
          3) Allows you guys to be fully available to stay out late, etc. with your friends instead of rushing back to hotel to relieve grams / waking her up when you do
          4) Eliminates DH's awkwardness about having a ball while grams is back in the hotel.
          5) Saves costs of flying kids to wedding location

Just a thought.

Comment

Kevin you are so smart!!!
            Luanne
            wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

How about grandma flies to your house and watches kiddos there?

Possible benefits:

1) Saves hotel costs for gram (or whoever would pay)
              2) Keeps kids in a familiar environment
              3) Allows you guys to be fully available to stay out late, etc. with your friends instead of rushing back to hotel to relieve grams / waking her up when you do
              4) Eliminates DH's awkwardness about having a ball while grams is back in the hotel. 5) Saves costs of flying kids to wedding location

Just a thought.
              ITA w/ Kevin.
              This (his suggestion) is more reasonable.
              Have her fly in a couple of days before you leave to allow all to adjust to one another and to give her the 411 on things around the house and to familiarize her w/ any routines you have.

Comment

Agreed. I was thinking along the lines of Kevin.

Comment

Since we just moved to the Midwest and our parents are in the south they are always wanting to come and visit. We have asked them several times to come and watch our son and they both jump at the chance. I agree it is better for all if the kids get to stay in their own environment!

Comment

Working...
                  X