Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Question about Eggs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Eggs

I need to go grocery shopping. Please don't judge me, but...

How long after the sell-by date on a carton of eggs is it still safe to eat them...? We're talkin' January 24.
    married to an anesthesia attending

I had to stop and think about how many days it has been since Jan 24. I bet they are ok for another week or two. Using older eggs in baking can affect your final product though I don't remember how.

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake
      I had to stop and think about how many days it has been since Jan 24. I bet they are ok for another week or two. Using older eggs in baking can affect your final product though I don't remember how.
      Nellie! Thanks a lot for emphasizing how old they are!

We didn't make it to a regular grocery store after Target yesterday because it's SO cold here. Dh is working today, and I literally have nothing but some old eggs in the fridge to eat. I just plan on making an omelet or scrambled eggs or something, nothing fancy. I just want to make sure I will live through my meal!

(Yes, we did go to Target yesterday, but I wasn't really thinking about food... )

Comment

I'm sure it will be fine for an omelet. If you were making a delicate cake or meringue you might notice a difference. With temperatures like that, I think the eggs are perfectly ok for eating!

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake
          I'm sure it will be fine for an omelet. If you were making a delicate cake or meringue you might notice a difference. With temperatures like that, I think the eggs are perfectly ok for eating!
          Thank you, Nellie!
          Cake sounds good... Fresh eggs or not, I don't think I'd be able to make one.

Comment

Yeah, but is there a difference between "sell by" and "use by?"
            I couldn't figure out the difference between expiration, sell by and use by when I did an online search.

Comment

The ones in my fridge have an even older date and I am still eating them!!!!
              Luanne
              wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

How old are they, Luanne? Just curious, in case I, you know, decide to NOT throw mine away.

Comment

They'll be fine. Eggs stay good for quite a while!

Comment

Almost a week older.
                    Luanne
                    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Working...
                    X