Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Went to the Bodies Exhibit yesterday...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Went to the Bodies Exhibit yesterday...

I thought it was pretty cool.

We went with another couple, including one of the residents that DW works with. We had a nice time.

There was a MS1 there with his chicky and he was trying to explain everything to her. We all thought that was pretty funny. He had his backpack with his med school name on it and his anatomy text out trying to impress her with his knowledge. Quite entertaining!
    Husband of an amazing female physician!

Isn't that a great exhibit? We saw it here last year, DH explained a lot of it to me too, I felt like I had my own tutor but he really only did the nerve stuff. Did yours have the development exhibit with the fetuses at different stages? I thought that was very interesting.
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Re: Went to the Bodies Exhibit yesterday...

Originally posted by Laker
      There was a MS1 there with his chicky and he was trying to explain everything to her. We all thought that was pretty funny. He had his backpack with his med school name on it and his anatomy text out trying to impress her with his knowledge. Quite entertaining!
      Cute!

I think it's coming to Chicago again.
      married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I did not like seeing this with my kids last summer. It was freaky. I think alone or with DH I could have approached it more as an art exhibit. With the kids, I got all involved in the morality of the work - and whether this was desecration. (They ask if it's OK. They ask why. They ask how. Dang kids. )

Interesting, but if you are going with little ones/school age kids - have your answer prepared and think it out first.
        Angie
        Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
        Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

There are actually more than one - but they are all done by the same guy and are all "real". You can get details at: http://www.bodyworlds.com/index.html
          They travel around to different museums.

Angie, I would have been uncomfortable taking children as well. There was one couple there with a little girl and I thought they did a really good job explaining things to her, she was probably six or seven. Listening to her questions was very interesting b/c she was so honest and uninhibited.

Comment

Dh went to the exhibition in Cologne, Germany many years ago.
            I don't have the stomach for this kind of stuff. I can't even look at the ads for it without gagging a bit.
            married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Toddler too young?

My DH and I have been wanting to go! It's here in Chicago right now. As soon as his schedule slows down for at least a day off we are definately going. Taking my toddler, hopefully he won't be frightened! Any thoughts?

Comment

There's one here in PHX now through MAY something

Comment

Well if someone is trying to replicate them that is pretty cheap - from what we learned when we were there it takes years to do each body.

If you're going to go plan ahead enough to get tickets ahead of time. We ordered ours and when we got there we only had to go to will call but you should have seen the line for the people who had just shown up. They only let so many people in each 30 minutes. They actually extended the one near us b/c it sold out so often.

Comment

I saw it back in 2005. I loved it. However, I did not look at it as a form of art...I skipped the more artsy poses. I was amazed by the complexity of the human body. You see it in textbooks, gross lab, video and unfortunately sometimes “live” but it is not the same when you see it in this exhibit. It is truly amazing.

I was surprised about the number of dark lungs. I guess there are a lot of smokers who donate their bodies to Bodyworld.
                    Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Originally posted by alison
                      I don't have the stomach for this kind of stuff. I can't even look at the ads for it without gagging a bit.

I'm SOOOOO with you on this. My husband would really like to go, but I have a pretty weak stomach. But I may have a way out since our oldest daughter really wants to see it.

Those of you who've seen this, is it too far out there for an fairly advanced 11 y/o who isn't grossed out by all of her dad's medical stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot
                        Those of you who've seen this, is it too far out there for an fairly advanced 11 y/o who isn't grossed out by all of her dad's medical stuff?
                        I don't think so at all. My newphew is 10 and very much into medicine (we bought him an anatomy book for Christmas last year) and I would take him in a heartbeat.

Comment

Working...
                        X