Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Al on the Today Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I grew up shoving tons and tons of snow on our very long driveway, soooo tiring. dh has never had to, or been around any snow to shovel. I don't think he would be adverse to it, if he had the time.
    Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

DH hasn't really had to do it. He moved from Nebraska to the south when he was a child and now we're in the South so he's never needed to. I'm from New England and am used to snow but never really had to do it - we'd usually get a friend to plow or pay someone. Or my dad and brothers would do it (one benefit of having a large family!)

Originally posted by Sheherezade
      It pisses me off that the businesses don't do it. They have landscaping crews in the spring, but don't shovel the sidewalks in front of the strip mall or little shops.
      I'm surprised some businesses don't. It's a potential lawsuit!

Comment

I'm a walker whether it's snowing or not, so bless all you sidewalk shovelers!
        Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
        Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
        Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if our HOA has some sort of rule, but we also have some sort of weird sidewalk plan. They only put sidewalks on one side of the street, and since I'm in the middle of a cul-de-sac, it actually stops just short of my yard (only goes 1/2 way thru the cul-de-sac). It looks stupid, IMO, and it makes peering into people's windows during evening walks boring. You only get to peep on one side of the street!

Comment

From the business stand point I can tell you if it is snowing during a day and we are open we shovel the entrances but due to liability (i.e. trying to plow around cars) we do not shovel the parking lot until after the business is closed or the next morning before it opens. It is too hard to shovel around customer cars.
            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Growing up in rural Canada, we both learned to shovel at a very early age...both of our boys know that they are expected to help too!

I usually end up doing it becuase DH is never here, but he would gladly do it if he could....personally I HATE the cold and despise doing it, but *insert sigh* someone has to do it.

Comment

We had to shovel because of the risk of fines and it is just a nice thing to do for your fellow walkers and mailman.

I liked shoveling IF I wasn't running late for work or having to do it with a kiddo to watch (until old enough to play in one spot).

Two of our former neighbors were both fancy-pants doctors ( ) and they shoveled our walk for us about half the time. They were in residency then and up early to begin with so they just kept going. Also, both were from the tundra so the snow seemed like a breeze to them. I'd try to bring them dinner or something tasty in exchange. I love good neighbors.

Comment

I don't think there is a rule in our neighborhood, either. We do have sidewalks, but the plow that plows our streets piles the snow at the end of the cul-de-sac.....i.e. on top of the sidewalk that runs in front of our house. No way am I taking that pile on! We are on a motor route as far as both our mail and newspaper go, so I don't feel guilty about working people not having a clear path......that *might* make me shovel.
                  Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

We have to shovel even though we don't even have a driveway or a sidewalk. Since the car is parked on the street, it needs to be shoveled out, then coming back you need to shovel your way in.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzy Sunshine
                      Originally posted by alison
                      My dh would NEVER shovel snow. He did as a kid, but there's no way in hell that he'd do it, fancy doctor or not.
                      What do you do when it snows??
                      The building management takes care of it! That's what we pay over $1300/month for a one bedroom for. :brrr:
                      married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Originally posted by Suzy Sunshine
                        My dh would NEVER shovel snow. He did as a kid, but there's no way in hell that he'd do it, fancy doctor or not.
                        What do you do when it snows??
                        The building management takes care of it! That's what we pay over $1300/month for a one bedroom for. :brrr:
                        So what are you going to do when you're not renting?
                        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

We're not living where there's snow. Or at least snow that doesn't melt within a day.

I can't take these winters for many more years. I walk and wait for the bus in Chicago heat and Chicago cold. Must. Go. West.

You caught me on a bad day, Cheri. I went to work to find that more instructors canceled class (not alllowed). I went to do unannounced teaching observations/evaluations, and no one was around. And now I've got to document this stuff, because I'm supposed to be informed when classes get canceled.
                          married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

An update.....

DH came home from work early and barely made it up the driveway because of the depth of the snow, and once he got into the garage, the garage door wouldn't shut because there was too much snow in the way.

Soooo, DH and Luke are outside shoveling now. I think both of them are kind of excited about it, too. This is turning into quite an impressive storm!

Sally
                            Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

We ahve 24 hours to get the sidewalks shoveled or we get fined by the Borough. Yhe driveway is another issue. If we can get out we drive over it. I pay someone to shovel it.
                              Luanne
                              wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Working...
                              X