Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

When Parents get sick...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Parents get sick...

We've had a tough week.....Thomas' dad was put in the ICU this week and things looked really grim. It is a long, sordid story that involves some patient abuse issues that are ridiculous Truly, it is such an unbelievable story and the german system is just...different...I'm coming close to screaming INFERIOR...Thomas already is!!! In any case, the surgeon actually believed that he did not need an internist to treat my father-in-laws infection, diabetes and eventually sepsis...he was placed in a surgical ICU and when my husband spoke with the boss, he was told "you don't understand, Dr. Math ...your father has a 'bug' in his blood. There is nothing we can do!!! " Thomas was able to raise holy hell and have his father treated with antibiotics for the infection that caused him to become septic. In germany, there is a real hierarchy and docs actually don't do consults...they also find it offensive to get a suggestion from another physician.

In any case, his father is doing better, but Thomas has gone home to have his father transferred, make ammends with his father and spend some last good days together.

I just wanted to keep everyone updated....I've missed chatting with everyone, but I've been really occupied with this.

Hope things are going well for everyone.

Kris

Time is a Dressmaker, Specializing in Alterations!

Kris- I am very sorry to hear about your FIL. It is emotionally difficult when you have to deal with an illness of a loved one. Especially, when it is your own parent. Knowing that the medical care is questionable and being so far away must make it unbearable. I am happy that your Thomas was able to be with his father and be on site to make sure things are done right.

We just went through similar issues with my husband's grandfather and it took Ron to get upset with the hospital staff before his grandfather got what he needed.

Your family is in my thoughts and prayers.

Jennifer
    Needs

Comment

Good for Thomas! I'm sorry to hear about his dad, though.

Jennifer

Comment

Just touching base.....well, the hospital actually cultured his blood when they found out that Thomas was coming...and they discovered he was infected with three organisms all from his intestines...in other words, the failure of the nursing staff to clean up his diarrhea caused his leg to become infected and eventually led to sepsis!

He is doing a bit better, though my husband says he isn't sure if his dad will be able to survive this. His father is all there mentally and is very afraid of dying.

I'm very proud of him for going there and for doing his best to make peace with his father and be his advocate. The physicians there have been very respectful of Thomas and the doc. that Thomas talked to on the phone before coming is afraid of him...and asked to be removed from the case and avoids hubby like the plague....ha!

I'll keep you posted.

Kris

Comment

Kris,

Does Germany have some type of medical review board? This other doctor should have at least a good scare for his actions.

I *** hope *** that Thomas and his family are all doing well.

How are YOU doing?

Kelly
          In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I'm sorry for all of you. I hope he gets there in time to make a difference medically. More importantly, I hope he gets there in time to make an emotional difference.

Luanne
            Luanne
            wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Kelly,

There is no similar system in place, though Thomas will file a complaint with an agency similar to the AMA...the worst that will happen to this physician (and I use the term loosely) is that he'll receive a letter from the board.

I'm sorry I didn't call you last night...we've had an attack of influenza here. I've never been so sick in my life!!!! I'm not kidding. I've had a fever for 3 days and my throat/head hurt horribly...every muscle and joint in my body is also sore!

The kids all developed diarrhea yesterday and we were up all night..Finny slept all afternoon because she was so ill and the kids took turns running to the potty all night...they had tummy cramps and were crying...I have to get the carpet cleaner out now and change bedsheets! Yucky....Today is the first day I've been able to even make myself coffe....

I'll call you next time Seanycakes has call...which would be???

PS...I'm glad things went well for Cade..I thought about you two all day yesterday.

Kris

Comment

Kris -

Have you heard from Thomas? How is his father doing? I'm sorry about all of this! You all are in my prayers!

Comment

Thanks for asking, Claudia. Thomas has been to the hospital everyday and has managed to get his dad a special air mattress to treat the wounds on his bottom from poor nursing care....from what I understand, in the US this type of mattress is standard of care for someone who is laying for long periods, but in germany, for the most part, they count on nursing staff to do this. They have only one nurse on each unit because of nursing shortages (look out USA, we are also heading for a severe nursing crisis...and there is one already in many places) so he has been neglected.

He realizes that this is truly the beginning of the end for his father, who has battled diabetes for many years. It's a painful realization for him but he is glad that they were able to give his dad more time.....

Kris

Comment

Working...
                  X