Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Anyone giving up anything for Lent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone giving up anything for Lent?

Originally posted by *Lily*

I am giving up all fried foods, and the ring of fat around my torso.
    ME TOO!!

Too bad that's where all my fat settles. Where I really need it is in my chicken legs.

I'm giving up fast food, I enjoy it entirely way too much.

oh, AND i'm going to start taking some vitamins. And maybe try to spend more time with my family.

I putting aside 30 minutes each day for reflection/exercise/prayer. Just some time for me to spend alone with God. No ipod, no email, tv, etc. I figure, if I make myself do this for a couple of weeks, then it will become a habit. Wish me . Behaviour change is never easy.
    Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

I guess I need to get on that decision. I always do Lent and my service isn't until tonight at 7pm.

I like the fried foods one... and that will be difficult. I think I'll go with that!

Comment

I'm giving up television. I gave this up for Lent 4 years ago, and surprisingly it was easier than I thought. I didn't watch tv again until 6 months later, when DH started 3rd year med school, and I was lonely at home at night. So, that will be the hardest part- nights when DH is on call. And, tonite he is on call, so I will see how it goes.

The only exception that I make is when I am running at the gym, because the tvs are on, and I can't avoid it.

Comment

I've never known what Lent was all about.

This is actually a really neat concept!

Can someone post a link or tell me what Lent is about/based on?

We don't do Lent in my beliefs - but maybe I'll adopt this "giving something up for 40 days" anyway.... Very interesting....
          Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
          With fingernails that shine like justice
          And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

This site seems to have a good overview:

http://www.americancatholic.org/Feature ... efault.asp

The giving something up symbolizes suffering like Jesus did for 40 days. I am the only catholic in my bible study class and was very interested to find that most don't know what Lent really is but still use the 40 days to repent for something or make themselves stronger.

ETA: This one might be better http://www.catholic.org/clife/lent/faq.php
            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Oops. Too slow, but here are some additional links:

Nice Q & A format of Lent (RC perspective):

http://www.cin.org/users/james/files/lent.htm

Another link from Catholic Encyclopedia - warning Jennifer - don't spend days on this or have it end up in the debate section - :P

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/09152a.htm

Cheri - I have a feeling Tara will be proud of us when she returns to the boards.

Comment

Lent isn't just for Catholics! I'm Episcopalian and we have Lent, too!

From about.com...

The Christian Season of Lent
                Lent is the Christian season of preparation before Easter. In Western Christianity, Ash Wednesday marks the first day, or the start of the season of Lent, which begins 40 days prior to Easter (Sundays are not included in the count).

Lent is a time when many Christians prepare for Easter by observing a period of fasting, repentance, moderation and spiritual discipline. The purpose is to set aside time for reflection on Jesus Christ - his suffering and his sacrifice, his life, death, burial and resurrection.

Not all Christian churches observe Lent. Lent is mostly observed by the Lutheran, Methodist, Presbyterian and Anglican denominations, and also by Roman Catholics. Eastern Orthodox churches observe Lent or Great Lent, during the 6 weeks or 40 days preceding Palm Sunday with fasting continuing during the Holy Week of Easter.

Lent for Eastern Orthodox churches begins on Monday and Ash Wednesday is not observed.
                The Bible does not mention the custom of Lent, however, the practice of repentance and mourning in ashes is found in 2 Samuel 13:19; Esther 4:1; Job 2:8; Daniel 9:3; and Matthew 11:21.

Why do we give up something for Lent?
                When we deny ourselves things we enjoy, we strenghten our own will so we do not become slaves to the things we like. This exercise helps strengthen us spiritually. It makes us sacrifice. By giving up something that isn't sinful helps us give up things or not do things that are. It also helps us to keep our priorties straight.

Ash Wednesday
                Ash Wednesday is the official start of Lent. Lent is a forty day season, excluding Sundays, to prepare and meditate about the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Ashes are a tradition in Catholicism and the Episcopal Church. During the Ash Wednesday service, the priest places ashes on the middle of people's forehead if they want. This might sound a bit unusual, however, there is meaning behind it.

Ashes are an ancient symbol meaning repentance. Catholics repent for our sins. Having ashes reminds us that we need to apologize to God for sinning. Many Catholics attend Sacrament of Reconciliation during the season of Lent.

Another reason for the ashes is to remind us that one day we are going to die. Our physical bodies will turn to dust, however, our souls will return to God. The ashes are a physical reminder that what how we live our life matters. We will not be on Earth forever, but our souls never die.
                Having ashes on Ash Wednesday shows we have a deeper understanding of God and the season of Lent.

Why do we Abstain from meat on Ash Wednesday and Fridays?
                The Church asks us to inconvenience ourselves sometimes to serve as a reminder that they should always have God as a top priorty and pleasures as a lesser priorty.
                Another belief is that in many poorer countries, beef is a specialty. For us to give it up, helps us to remember about people who are less fortunate than we are.
                You are also supposed to fast (= 1 meal and two small snacks, ages 18-60 only are "required") on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.

Comment

Stella,

We had dibs. :P

Seriously, I had a feeling right after I clicked send that I should mention that many Christians who aren't Catholics also celebrate Lent.

Carry on Episcopalian friend.

ETA- TV for me this year. I do have one small caveat - I'm going to be allowed to watch UVa basketball. That still shouldn't make it easy as the market I'm in will usually only show their games in ACC tourney and big dance. But otherwise, no TV at all.

Comment

I'm Anglican...mostly (a tinsy bit United too, long story) we are all giving up TV...teh boys weren't 100% thrilled at the idea, but I know we can do it (I am really going to miss Grey's Anatomy, please post a re cap)
                    DH and I tried sex last year.....I need to do better this year

Comment

Originally posted by sarahB
                      (I am really going to miss Grey's Anatomy, please post a re cap)
                      (You'll be able to catch up here: http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/ar ... _1195.html )
                      Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                      Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                      Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Originally posted by uvagradk
                        ETA- TV for me this year. I do have one small caveat - I'm going to be allowed to watch UVa basketball. That still shouldn't make it easy as the market I'm in will usually only show their games in ACC tourney and big dance. But otherwise, no TV at all.
                        That sounds like something I would do. Can't miss those Jayhawks!

I'm not sure what I'm giving up this year other then soda. I will probably cut back on my tv time but not give it up all together. I'm going to make more of an effort to go to mass every weekend. I'm not sure what else...
                        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

That sounds like something I would do. Can't miss those Jayhawks!
                          Terrible, huh? Actually, given the tv market I live in and the fate that has been UVa basketball (oh, basically since the post-Ralph Sampson era) - my carved out "exception" may end up not being much of one.

And I'll think of some outward focus stuff that Annie is referring to as well.

It's funny. I don't often talk about the Lent IRL. Basically, since we're going to Church tonight - I don't have to explain the Ashes.

Here in the South, it's almost impossible not to give an explanation at some point during the day (if the Ashes have been administered)!

Comment

Originally posted by uvagradk
                            Here in the South, it's almost impossible not to give an explanation at some point during the day (if the Ashes have been administered)!
                            I'm going tonight too! I don't mind explaining the meaning of the ashes but I don't like all the curious Southern stares. "What do you mean you aren't Baptist?" :huh:

Comment

Stella- DH always used to kid that Catholic is considered an alternative lifestyle in Richmond.

I always got the curious "why does that crazy lady have dirt on her forehead" stares there!
                              Rebecca, wife to handsome gyn-onc, and mom 4 awesome kiddos: 8,6,4, and 2.

Comment

Working...
                              X