Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Anyone giving up anything for Lent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stella,

Yeah, I grew up in the south so I'm used to it. Actually, there are a lot of Northern transplants where I'm at now, but throughout the course of the day someone is bound to either:

1) stare
    2) express concern for my safety
    3) try to wipe them off as if it's a hygeine issue

I don't mind talking about it, but it is funny.

I thinking it's the day when the "papists" and "fisheaters" come out of the closet.

Comment

Originally posted by Malpka

I always got the curious "why does that crazy lady have dirt on her forehead" stares there!
      I saw an elderly lady on the bus today and thought she had a smashed bug on her forehead.
      married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I almost let a co-worker know that he had a smudge of something on his forehead once before remembering at the last second that it was Ash Wednesday. Oops, faux pas narrowly averted!
        Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
        Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
        Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

I am giving up Softdrinks.. they are my weakness.....

Comment

eating between meals is my sacrafice each year...its a lot harder then all of you might think!

Comment

Wow grasshopper...giving up tv. That would be a challenge for me.

I am a bit of a diet pop (or soda if you prefer) addict. I am only allowing myself one diet pop a day and drinking more water. We will see how this goes.

Comment

I'm going to give this year. We are going to do one community service project per week. With the impending move, I felt like this wasn't the year to get all spartan and add more challenges to our lives.

DH didn't get home in time last night for us to go to services together.

Kelly
                In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

[quote="Stella"]Lent isn't just for Catholics! I'm Episcopalian and we have Lent, too!

I'm an Episcopalian, too! Every year I give up chocolate. It sounds easy, but I really love chocolate and eat it, in one form or another, at least several times a day. So I definitely miss it. And I'm giving up my Wednesday nights, too...my parish has a Lenten lecture series on Wednesday night (with no-charge childcare available!), so I am going to do that, too. It should be pretty good...the Advent series was good. (And nothing beats a little kiddo-free time to discuss grown-up ideas using polysyllabic words and books that don't include cartoon characters on the cover!)

Comment

I still haven't had any fried foods! I can't believe it! I was really tempted last weekend when we went to South Street in Charlottesville and SO had the most wonderful smelling french fries on his plate... But I resisted.

Everyone else?

Comment

I'm busted! I gave up soda until Sunday - did you know Sundays don't count? But then I had one yesterday and am drinking one right now. I've met the no fish on Fridays though, so far...
                      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

We did terrible!!! Shoulda gone with giving up we would have been right on target!

Comment

The real question is anyone giving up IMSN?

Comment

I could give it up at any time..... I just don't want to.

(hmmmm...denial, anyone?)

Kelly
                            In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Oh yeah, I've also been on track with abstaining on Fridays. Rock on.

And give up iMSN?????

Comment

I'm not Christian either, but I rather like the idea behind Lent.

As a pesco-vegetarian (ie, one who eats fish) and with a very healthy diet which includes no or almost no alcohol, caffeine, soda, meat or fried foods, I wouldn't have thought there was much left to give up. I hardly watch TV - and many of you relate to the sexual drought which can come with being married to a surgeon!

Completely coincidentally, my doctor suggested a couple of weeks ago to give up wheat as a potential allergen.

Well, now - that's been a challenge! I had not realised that wheat seems to be in everything, from the obvious culprits such as bread and pasta, to stealth appearances in soy sauce and ice cream, and it hasn't been fun to do without!

Still, even this has got to be easier than going without the net...or iMSN!

Comment

Working...
                                X