Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Organizing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organizing

Check out the "Around the House" forum. There are several threads in there relating to closets, general organization, etc. Sadly - I've started many of them, and I'm still probably in need of the most help.

the Container Store

The Container Store has a website and lots of ideas on how to organize rooms in general.

Comment

I'd tell you to divide the stuff first, then buy containers after. I think the tendency to stuff things in to big containers and call it "organized" is running rampant in this culture. That's just stored clutter. See what you use, figure out where you need it, figure out where you can store it -- then find the perfect containers. It takes time. Do it one room or closet at a time. Don't get overwhelmed. You'll just end up cleaning all the stuff out later when you clear out your storage.
      Angie
      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Originally posted by *Lily*
        Oh- and tackle one room at a time. I did the den one day, the den closet one day, the guest closet, the linen closet, the master bed, master bath, etc. - complete one task before moving to the next.
        I agree with that too. I think it's less overwhelming when you work on a small area at a time.

For papers and memorabelia, etc. I use a file folder system. This keeps mountains of papers and related stuff from being shoved in drawers, etc.

I also think it helps to pick up/tidy a little every day. I spend about 30 mins. a day doing this because otherwise things get out of control.

Comment

I can second the suggestion about organizing your stuff and THEN buying the containers/supplies. I don't even want to know how much $$ I've wasted on various kind of tubs and bins over the years because I didn't really have a clear idea of what exactly was needed.

Comment

Dollar store.....truly...and then pocket the $100 you have left over

Take a look at your cupboards and decide what you need to organize...figure out containers/sizes etc and go to the dollar store with a list.

Our dollar store even has special kitchen organizer containers......

Kris
            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

IKEA has lots of containers/folder/boxes/etc. I get most of my stuff there or Target. I got a couple of wicker boxes from IKEA years ago to contain various papers in a pleasant looking way and have been moving them with same papers intact from apt to apt for 5 years now.

Comment

Working...
              X