Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Attn: Kate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attn: Kate

Kate, did I read correctly that you are in the Boston area? My husband will be going up there for the rest of his residency beginning this summer. We are actually travelling up there in five weeks to *attempt* to find a place to live! Do you have any suggestions on where a safe, affordable three bedroom apartment might be found in the area? Any suggestions on where to do a few tourist-y things while we're in the area for a few days (this will be the first time I'll ever have been in New England)? I am looking forward to the move, but am flying blind and can use any advice you might have for me!!!

Jennifer

Jennifer,

While you are waiting for Kate's response -- I thought I would pop in and offer some of my insights on Boston. We lived there for 4 years during medical school and I loved it! It's because it is a manageable city and a safe one.

We lived in the South End for 3 years and then moved to Malden for the last year which was a HUGE mistake. We thought by moving outside of the city we would save money and have a bigger place to live. MISTAKE!!!!! Although we did have a bigger place, the commute was hell. I liked living close enough to the T (the subway) and within walking distance of Copley Square or a long walk every weekend to Haymarket for very affordable fruits and vegetables.

I know of people who lived in the Allston/Brighton areas of Boston and also had affordable housing. Brookline can be way expensive so you would want to avoid there. Expect to pay a realtor fee as you won't be able to find anything without a realtor.

When looking for a place to live, try to get the exact location and then ask someone (like Kate or me) where it is. A nice neighborhood can go seedy quickly. I know there were people who thought, "Eww.. the South End is gross" but it wasn't! It was very nice and we lived across the street from the police station to boot! We became a part of the community and knew our neighbors and the business people in the neighborhood -- I would move back in a heartbeat.

Touristy things to do: Definitely have to go to Faneuil Hall and walk around and eat. You should try to go to The Hancock Building and go all the way up -- on a clear day it has a great view of the city. Go to the public library and instead of entering the main entrance on Boylston street, enter at the side on Dartmouth Street. The art and architecture will amaze you! They even offer a tour of the library -- just go to http://www.bpl.org. For shopping, go to the Prudential and walk and walk and walk. You can eat at Legal Seafoods at the entrance or walk to their enormous food court. More for browsing than buying, walk down Newbury Street to see where all the rich people shop. Take the red line up to Harvard Square in Cambridge and walk around. My favorite spot is Chinatown -- you have to go to Buddha's Delight - a vegetarian Vietnamese restaurant that is amazing. All of the food is vegetarian but they make it look like real meat like ribs, shrimp, etc. Two people can eat a full meal including appetizers, entree and beverage with a tip for under $20. Let me know what kinds of things you are intersted in and I can tell you more!

As you can see -- I love Boston! We are moving to Philadelphia in June and the one saving grace about that is that it reminds me in many ways of Boston.

Marian

Comment

Forgot to mention that boston.about.com is also a great place to visit and read.

Marian

Comment

Thank you, Marian! Be prepared for a bombardment of questions as I do more research!!!

Jennifer

Comment

Hi Jennifer--

Yes, we are definitely in Boston. I'm really happy to help however you need it. I've lived here since 1987 and lived in Belmont, Arlington, Cambridge and now Dorchester. This is a wonderful city to live in, and there are lots of options. THe hardest part about it are the housing prices. But if you look you can find things...It depends on what you want.

We currently rent a 2 bedroom apartment at the top of a building that was probably converted from a single family in the 40's, though most of the apt stock like ours were built as 3-families. We pay $1200 including utilities (usually utilities are not included) in a neighborhood that has a huge mix: Vietnamese families own and live in the 3-decker to the right of us, a Trinidadian family owns the 3 decker to the left. Across the street a white yuppie couple owns a huge Victorian they bought for a song 6 years ago...This is a very multi-racial community with affordable prices.

Many of the tripe-deckers have been converted to condos--it's outrageous what people are getting for them. But two sets of friends bought this type of condo (2br in a tripledecker) both less than 4 blocks from here in the slightly less diverse part of the neighborhood for $125k and $179k. These are rock-bottom prices for Boston unless you want to live further out.

One thing you want to look for is whether you want to be on a subway line. One of the bonuses of Dot (as we call it) is that we're on the Red Line, which runs through the city and out to Cambridge, where many of our friends live.

Parly it depends on your level of adventure, and how much driving you think you want to do. Parking is an issue in all these neighborhoods, though moreso in some than others.

Other places that are more reasonable but not downtown are Somerville and Watertwon (both near Cambridge), Quincy (south of the city and slightly more suburban) and Medforda and Malden (up until recently considered completely working class cities, but rising housing costs have sent people out there to buy their first homes).

I've got to go at the moment, but I'm happy to share whatever you'd like to know. It's a complex city and Marian is right, don't let one person's impression scare you off or convince you a place isn't good. While the South End looks rough in some spots--and it IS rough in some spots--it has beautiful brownstones and gorgeous apartments. On the other hand, crime there is still an issue, partly because relative wealth is next to poverty. In Dorchester, which most people think of as totally crime-ridden, the gradations in income are much more gradual, and some of the neighborhoods are incredibly tightly woven with friendly block groups, etc. I feel safer here than I do in the south end...But it's all relative and very personal of course.

Hope this is helpful. Keep asking!

Kate

Comment

Kate and Marian: Thank you sooooo much! I really do need a lot of help here! Could you guys email me some recommendations on people who might help us find a home or apartment to rent? My email addy is jenniferstreeter@yahoo.com In addition to finding a place big enough for my four kids, I also have to take into account the fact that we only have one car at the moment, we have a tight budget (but don't we all!), and I have a child who's about to start school (so now I have to look at the quality of school districts for the first time!). Brookline is ground zero so-to-speak since that is where hubby will have to work. Anyway, if you guys know of realtors, apartment finders, or even available places to live I am all ears!!! We go for a visit the last week of April (just bought the tickets!) and I've got to gather as much info for planning this trip as I can.... You guys are so great to give me advice! Thanks!

Jennifer

Comment

Working...
            X