Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Grammar police help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grammar police help needed

Adrian chose (he,him) and (I,me) for his team.

Please give it to either (he,him) or (I,me) after you're finished.

He walked right by derek and (I,me)

The top prizes were awarded to (he,him) and (I,me)

Gail invited Joan,Him and (I,me) to the party at her house.

Can anyone give me a quick look at the answers that they would choose and the justifications (grammar rules).

Thanks

kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

So...I don't know the reason, but I had always been under the impression that you should say Gail Invited Joan, Jim and I to the party at her house. I understand taht joan, jim and I are the direct object so technically...it should be me...but...I just *sounds* right. I don't know why I feel that.

kris

Comment

Were you homeschooled or was she just your teacher?

I *think* you win....since...Andrew got each of those answers wrong and your answers were the alternatives.

I just re-read them so many times that I couldn't *feel* which ones were right.

Kris

Comment

the rule I've always followed with that one is you use "me" when the sentence could also be read "Adrian chose me for his team". You wouldn't have it say "Adrian chose I for his team."

I could be wrong, though.

Comment

You can translate them into German and it may help...

Er hat X, Y und mich eingeladen. You wouldn't say Er hat X, Y und ich eingeladen.
            married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

What's funny, Alison, is that I *Get* and know the nominative, accusative, dativ etc in german but I had to look up the correct forms of the pronouns for the accusative in english I guess it's because I'm lazy about english, going by feel and not by the rules...whereas with german I have to think about it!

Thanks for the help with this you guys.

kris

Comment

Originally posted by Genivieve
                the rule I've always followed with that one is you use "me" when the sentence could also be read "Adrian chose me for his team". You wouldn't have it say "Adrian chose I for his team."

I could be wrong, though.
                I think this is totally right. It's what I do, and I was an English major.

Comment

Originally posted by alison
                  You can translate them into German and it may help...

Er hat X, Y und mich eingeladen. You wouldn't say Er hat X, Y und ich eingeladen.
                  Funny. Translating into German doesn't help me with it at all!

Comment

I have to think about the stuff in German in order to get it right in English.

Actually there's a good book out there, English Grammar for Students of German.
                    married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Working...
                    X