Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Maximiser or Satisficer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maximiser or Satisficer?

My friend saw a show on this recently and she and I were discussing it yesterday. I'm improving with age, but both of us still fall very clearly into the category of "Maximisers". Unfortunately, people in this group can get so overwhelmed by choices that it can be hard to come to a decision.

Which side are you on?

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/quiz/choice/

Or read the transcript first:
    http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/s1615006.htm

And because I'm a maximiser, I'm going to edit this to add a link to another article about the theory: http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=4678

That's all for now.... (The internet can be a very bad thing for maximisers!)

You are a Satisficer

You aim for "good enough". An excess of choices are unlikely to bother you much because you make a decision early and move on.

This is ME! Dead on. Make a decision and get on with things.

Jenn

(this isn't always a good thing but it's work out well in the big scheme of things!)

Comment

I'm a maximiser, and I'm currently going through one of those rediculous decision making processes now!

:needabreak:

Comment

You are a Satisficer

You aim for "good enough". An excess of choices are unlikely to bother you much because you make a decision early and move on.

Definitely me!!!!!
        Luanne
        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I'll be 33 in a month, do I count as an older gal? In that case, I buck the trend. I think that actually I am a satisficer at heart, or I would be if I hadn't been brought up by serious Maximiser parents. These are the values which they instilled in me. My father makes the best decisions on everything, after copious research. On the other hand, I hate stuffing around and get quite impatient with people who can't just decide, but the guilt in me makes me think I'm being wasteful if I don't follow up properly on all the options, particularly in regard to a purchase. So I'm a conflicted Maximiser.

Geez, does this mean I can't even decide properly about what I am?

Comment

Sorry to break the trend....but I am not only a Maximiser, but an *Extreme Maximiser*. I find it interesting that the people most strongly bonded to their political positions (JennDC, Luanne, and Pollyanna) are also Satisifiers. I am always looking at the other side of the fence- for better or worse. I'm 39.
            Angie
            Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
            Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I'm a Satisfyer too. DH is a Maximizer and I feel the need to balance. I prefer to pick something (after careful consideration) and move on to the next decision. I can usually be on to #10 while he's still struggling with #1.

Comment

I'm 36 ...
                You are a Maximiser

You always aim to make the best possible choice. And your choices are objectively better than the choices made by satisficers - but watch out you don't take it to extremes.
                ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Satisficer here.....

Probably on the borderline...but that is what is said.

Comment

It's funny you bring up restaurants, Lily. I have to know what everyone else is ordering before I can make a decision. Maybe it's my adoration of food, but I doubt it. I can never make a decision when I'm out to eat. (Unless it's a restaurant I frequent regularly and I know what I like...)

At least now I know I'm not indecisive, I'm just a maximiser.

Comment

I'm still trying to picture you in CT.

Comment

DH is from CT, Lily. We travel there often. DH's father was at Yale Med before he retired. Now, he's a man of leisure in Fairfield County.
                        Angie
                        Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite

Comment

Originally posted by *Lily*
                          I'm a 34 year old Satisficer. That word is weird.

Indecision drives me to the brink of insanity. Some of our friends can't even handle picking a restaurant for dinner. Guess what? It's all about the same price, you're going to find something on the menu to eat, and then you'll be full, regardless of what you eat. Is it THAT big of a deal?!

I would rather pick something, hope for the best, and deal with whatever comes.
                          That's pretty much how I feel. And why I usually pick for DH in restaurants.

Comment

I honestly don't have trouble making decisions. I just stress about them and second guess afterwords. I usually do this all in my head, so no one suffers too much. :> I do think it causes me stress when others wouldn't care. I think maximisers tend to be perfectionists. They also tend to be open minded. That's not always a bad thing....is it?

This conversation is making me feel bad about myself.
                            Angie

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade
                              I think maximisers tend to be perfectionists. They also tend to be open minded. That's not always a bad thing....is it?

This conversation is making me feel bad about myself.
                              No, it's not a bad thing! I'm an open-minded perfectionist also!

Comment

Working...
                              X