Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Another moving question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another moving question

I think I'll have a few over the next several months.

How many moving companies did you talk to/gotten estimates from before choosing one? Granted the first two weren't skeevy and necessitated further search.

I've scheduled an in-house estimate with Mayflower and North American in two weeks and not sure if I should have another (how many) lined up just in case. Both reps sounded reassuring over the phone and I definitely want to see how they come across in person. But if I don't get any red flags, can I stop at 2? The estimates I got over the phone fall at about 1/3 of the amount we can claim for reimbursement, so that's not an issue.

Part of me is so used to taking time to find good deals that choosing between 2 just doesn't sit well. But based on reviews here and on the web, both are good choices and someone else is footing the bill, so unless the estimator shows up drunk or something, there's really no reason to keep looking. My inner Maximizer is struggling with my inner Satisfier.

We got two when we moved from CA to MN. Both companies had negotiated rates with the hospital which is why we chose them. The estimates were similar, we were just more comfortable with one over the other and we had a great experience with North American.
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

How far in advance should I be getting estimates and scheduling my movers? Right now, we know when DH is finished, but since we haven't sold our house, we don't know when we'll be moving. Should I get an estimate and set a tentitive date? When we moved here, we had to use U-Haul (and we are never moving ourselves again), so I have no experience with using movers.
      -Deb
      Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

We don't have a set date either. I told both "mid-July" as our target date. Once we're ready to book, we'll have to pick a set date. I'd like to book movers about 3 months in advance just to be on a safe side and then reconfirm again a few weeks prior. We're not selling or buying, so that simplifies the experience.

Comment

We had an idea of when we wanted to move when we first contacted the movers but we didn't have to give them a specific date or decide between dates until we signed the contract. They should still be able to give you an estimate now.
          Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

We talked to three companies before deciding on one. Of the three, two came to the apartment to give us estimates. We were very satisfied with the moving company we chose. Though it did take nearly 3 weeks for our stuff to arrive, but they told us about that.

As for the move date, we gave ourselves two weeks after residency was over for DH to help with the packing and two weeks before DH's job was set to start. I thought that was a good amount of time. I got things started with the packing in June, though we really underestimated how much time it would take to sort through a one-bedroom apartment. I'd say we did two solid weeks of sorting and packing, and it wasn't enough. We were pulling all-nighters at the end there and then we still ended up leaving a day late because we hadn't finished packing.

So next time I will start packing a good month before we're set to move.

Comment

MOVING

We are moving from Buffalo NY to La Crosse WI and I was so happily surprised to see how inexpensive moving companies are! We priced a UHaul and it would have been over $1500 AND someone would have had to drive it through Chicago (ouch!) We called 2 companies, one gave me a quote of $1665 (we obviously don't have much stuff--1 bdrm apartment with no furniture coming with us except our bed) and the other company is coming to our place to give us an estimate.

We (I) decided that since I will be 39 weeks pregnant the week we move we ARE getting a moving company to move us no matter what the cost! I am so nervous with this whole moving thing, being so close to my due date. But there isn't anything we can do. We are living in on-campus housing and the only time we can move in is June 26th (the day before orientation). I hope baby is listening here...PLEASE ARRIVE LATE!!!

Comment

Working...
              X