Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Why are most of the members of this site women?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are most of the members of this site women?

I was thinking the other day that almost half of DH's classmates are women, but most of the members (or at least, the posters) on this site are women ... anyone have any idea why that might be? My guess is that women are more likely to spend time on any kind of internet community, but I'm not actually sure about that. Other thoughts?

I also think that there are alot of SAHMs on this site, and that mothers are more likely to stay-at-home than fathers. Meaning that probably most male spouses work. When I was working (I am unemployed, now) I would only have time to visit this site on Sunday mornings, because it was the only time I wasn't at work. It would be difficult to come to this site if one is working because you could get caught

Comment

I think there's also the "verbalizing" component. Women, more so than men, verbalize (in the case of the internet, the verbalizing is actually written, of course) their experiences, especially emotion (happy, surprise, frustration, etc.). Women may appreciate this outlet in a way a lot of men might not. However, that's a pretty general statement, too. Kudos to the guys who frequent the site! It's a great place to feel normal--you know that other people are going through the same thing.

Comment

I just think women are more likely to reach out for support than men are.

Comment

I also think female docs might wait longer to marry and / or start a family.

Grasshopper is right though. Us SAHP's who sit on our butts all day in front of the computer really keep things going strong.

Comment

I wonder if men find it easier to be the medical spouse? Easier in the sense that maybe they tend to be "low maintenance"? Personally, I need more from DH than he seems to need from me.

Comment

I come for the chicks.

Comment

I hang out with several male medical spouses IRL but I can't any of them joining this community. Bitching about lifestyle and just talking about their feelings is not their thing. I do think women need to verbalize things more and they seek verbal support a lot more than men.

I'm on here mostly from work. I rarely turn on the computer on the weekends (unless I've got work to do). This is a really great escape during the day.

Comment

Originally posted by pstone
                  I come for the chicks.
                  :>

Also...because we do have such a strong female presence, I think it can "put off" some of the guys. Heck..all of this talk about PMS and men who won't take out the trash I'm sure they feel a bit shy about chiming in...

kris
                  ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                  ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona
                    Originally posted by pstone
                    I come for the chicks.
                    :>

Also...because we do have such a strong female presence, I think it can "put off" some of the guys. Heck..all of this talk about PMS and men who won't take out the trash I'm sure they feel a bit shy about chiming in...

kris
                    Who us??

We definitely are a presence. It just shows what strong men we have who put up with us, online and in life.
                    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

You mean there are other men on this site too?!?!

I thought that there was just the old gang....you know, me, Peter, Kevin, Fluff. Just enough for the annual two-on-two game and beer festival. arty:

I think that it is mostly personal. When you hit that emtional need of some type of release- and you can't connect with the spouse beacuse of (fill-in-the-blank). You just search out for someone/something to unload before you explode. Doesn't have to be medicine related here at all.
                      I came here because I was in that place. I have contributed over the years, sometimes more verbally, other times just in passing.
                      Why it is a male/female thing I am not sure...I am not arguing that men are less/more verbal...I, again, think that it is a personal reason that someone finds the outlet that they need.

Mine happened to be located at iMSN....good thing too, since I am married to a doctor!

Comment

Originally posted by Genivieve
                        Grasshopper is right though. Us SAHP's who sit on our butts all day in front of the computer really keep things going strong.
                        Genivieve- I didn't mean that as derogatory. Hey, I don't mind saying I was sitting on my butt all day in front of a computer. But I was too chicken to venture out on the net for fear the boss-man would find out. No offense, just that some people can get in trouble for coming to this website, and those most likely to have a boss-man are men. It is just a fact that more women stay at home than men. Sheesh!!!!

Comment

I can see what grasshopper meant. I didn't used to be able to get to this site from work so I was on less, just evenings and weekends. I think it is true that more SAHP of medical spouses are women, the men usually keep their careers.

Most of the active members on this board are stay at home parents, not that they sit in front of the computer all day but they have more time to chime in then some others usually.

I still try to limit myself because I'm afraid one day my company will figure out that this site isn't relevant to my job and they'll block it again.

(where is vamoose emoticon when you need it?)
                          Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Though there may be many male medspouses out there, there are relatively few who have agreed to make their careers secondary to their wives and become the primary caregiver/housekeeper/whateverer.
                            The major reason I need support is the feeling of isolation and insanity from taking care of the kids and house. If I had a full time career-oriented job, and a full time nanny, I'd probably be pretty oblivious to the stresses of medspousehood.
                            maybe.
                            Juggling job(s), house, kids, while still maintaining masculinity in a world which still views my choices with major suspicion - that's why I come here for validation.
                            Enabler of DW and 5 kids
                            Let's go Mets!

Comment

Okay,

Fluffhead said it well, but the chicks are not so bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X