Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Any good cures for insomnia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any good cures for insomnia?

I never seem to get enough sleep at night! It's a vicous cycle: the baby goes to sleep super late, the older kids wake up with the sun, I take a nap to catch up, and end up too awake at night to get to sleep!!! UGH! Short of prescription medication, does anyone have any suggestions for making me sleepy when mybody doesn't seem to want to sleep?

Jennifer

Exercising in the afternoon seems to help me. I get insomnia when my hormones are wacky and well-timed exercise seems to help out.

I also try to limit myself to one cup of coffee a day and only one or two glasses of wine a week and my system seems to do better. I'm guessing that you probably abstain anyway, so these are probably not the cause.

A hot bath, caffeine free tea, and a good book always help.

Anyway, good luck in solving this one and let us know what works. I'm quit sure that you are not the only one who goes through this.

Kelly
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I can't exercise in the afternoon/evening, because it kind of wakes me up...I am a morning exerciser, I guess.

When I get into those funks...which are so exhausting...I think that cutting back on caffeine helps (though it adds challenge, because if you haven't slept for most of the night, that coffee is about the only thing to keep me moving all day!)

I also vote for the hot bath at night...take the baby with you (not too hot ) and maybe it will settle her down a bit too?

Kris
      Time is a Dressmaker, Specializing in Alterations!

Comment

My problem that particular night was three-fold: I had exercised waaay too late in the day (ie about 8pm), I am use to my baby keeping me up until midnight or 1am anyway (she went to bed relatively early that night), AND I have some incredible stress hitting me with this upcoming move (problems just keep popping up all over). Anyway, I think exercising in the morning (ala Kristen), getting my kid to go to sleep much earlier, and forgetting my moving worries (haha - like that's going to happen) will take care of any future insomnia-related problems. Good call, though, Kris. The exercising late in the day was the straw on the camel's back I believe!

Jennifer

Comment

Jennifer,

Moving stress is really tough....I don't envy you or Robin right now...I remember when we were getting to move and I was also preparing to defend my thesis...I used to be up 1/2 the night playing online, worrying....eating I chatted with Janet for forever at night...it was just the worry that was doing it....

If it is any consolation, it is temporary. Once you have the stress of this move behind you, you'll be able to catch up on those much needed Z's !

Just do the best that you can for now.....but try not to nap during the day either, no matter how tired you are. I know that there were times that all of the kids would snuggle up in my room and we'd watch a movie and doze off...and it added to the problem....

thinkin' about you and your move,

Kris
          Time is a Dressmaker, Specializing in Alterations!

Comment

Working...
          X