Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

? about being a military MD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? about being a military MD

Hello all!

DH is med-peds and is 1-1/2 years out of training. He just got some info to be an MD for the Army Reserves and is considering it. As far as I understand, it would be non-active reserves. It would be a maximum 3-yr commitment which includes a salary (in addition to his current salary which is production-based) and loan repayment up to $50k. I think salary is specialty-dependent. From what I read, it would require DH working 2 weekends/yr AND one 2-week stretch somewhere in/near our city. I think the idea is to fill in at places that need an MD. It sound like a pretty good deal. All I care to know is, could he be shipped off to war or someplace else the military might need him? I don't know anything about the military or about being a part of the military. Any advice would be great.

The short answer-

Yes, he could be shipped anywhere his unit would be shipped.

It kind of depends what kind of group he is attached to and what they do but since the needs of the Army come first, it also sort of doesn't matter.

The premise sounds a wee bit fishy to me. Is this a military MEDICAL recruiter or a joe blow recruiter for the Army. Regular recruiters dont' know jack about the Medical Corps. (or the dental corps or the veterinary corps, either for that matter)

Also, I'm not entirely sure that there is such a thing as non-active reserves. They're non-active when they're not on their weekends but they can ALL be activated. That's the whole point of the reserve system.

Are you sure it's only 2 weekends a year plus one week? Also keep in mind that he'll have to do training- unit training and Officer Basic (which is six weeks long).

To be honest, it sounds like a whole lot of information got left out.

Jenn

Comment

ITA with Jenn. Too good to be true. A salary PLUS up to $50k loan repayment for 2 weekends a year and 2 weeks? Not if you are talking about the real military. My DH has been talking about staying in the reserves after we finish up our AF commitment and it would be 1 weekend per month plus something like a couple of weeks per year. The military isn't going to give you much without squeezing everything possible out of you. And then some.

(Do I sound bitter??)

Comment

I would look into that a little more and talk to more people. Ask to talk to people already in the program. When my DH signed up for his program he was told so many untrue things ... once you sign on the line they can do whatever they want!

Comment

Originally posted by Anne
          once you sign on the line they can do whatever they want!
          Frightening! I told DH to find out all the details. I can't imagine a sweet deal without a catch.

Comment

You know the only saying, "if it seems to good to be true, it probably is."

Seriously, it's not a bad deal provided that you and your husband understand that you own nothing about your life again until you're done. and read the military MD column and have him read the military MD column.

Any recruiter who suggests that your husband won't deploy is full of sh*t.

Jenn

Comment

I agree with everyone else - your husband really needs to talk to others who are currently in the military medical world. Recruiters do not necessarily openly lie (well, some do - but I like to think that most people are good people - naive I guess) but a recruiter is NOT going to understand or know many of the nuances and "fine print" that may become VERY important later in the game.

Being in the reserves is absolutely no guarantee he will NOT be deployed. And, it is often much more difficult to be ripped out of your life as a civilian to go on deployment than it is to be active-duty military mentally prepared to leave at almost the drop of a hat.

You might also have an attorney read over any contract they give your dh. It IS a contract after all....
              Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
              With fingernails that shine like justice
              And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Hi melfitz,

cute kids!

I agree with everyone else.. too good to be true, it they insist, then ask them for the terms in writing. Reserves are reserves (you are trained and paid to be on reserve for the country). If they wanted to fill spots, they can hire just as a civilian employee.

good luck with the decision.

Comment

Working...
                X