Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Blackberry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackberry?

Do you have one?
    Is it worth the money? Do I want to be reached 24/7 via email? Is this just adding another stressor to my life?
    married to an anesthesia attending

Ok, let me modify my question here. For those of you who don't have a Blackberry, why not?

Comment

Alison, I could have one through my company if I REALLY wanted one but I've watched my supervisor with his - he's ATTACHED to that thing and everyone in my company that has one is. I like having access to e-mail, etc. but 24/7 is to much for me. If someone really needs to get ahold of me, they can call my cell phone.
      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Depends. My job takes me away from my office/desk multiple times a day. I was always asking to borrow someone's computer to check my email. Now, I can check email I am expecting while I am away. I can also check the other email while I am waiting for a prescription at the pharm. for example. You do not have to answer 24/7. I use it for work and leave it in my office at the end of the day sometimes or if I take it home I leave it in the bag I take to work and only use it if I need to get some information or expecting an email.

If you got one, would your boss/family/friends, etc. expect you to answer 24/7?

I do know several people who cannot part with the thing and are constantly (as in during dinner at a restaurant) checking or emailing.
        Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Don't have one, don't need one, don't want one. It would be hard for me to imagine why someone in social services would need one. Pagers (unfortunately) find us just as easily.

Jenn

Comment

Some background:

My job doesn't require me to have one, however I think I could get a lot done on the bus (my commute is almost an hour each way), since so much of what I do is over email.

I recently happened to be online and a freelance translation job came my way. I was lucky, because the email was sent to a number of people in my department. I happened to be the first to respond and snag the job. So, I'm grateful that I was checking my email just seconds after that email came in... I know it's ridiculous to a certain extent, and I fear that I'd be one of those people who constantly checks for messages.

I'm pretty good with my cell phone, as in, I leave it off overnight, turn it off when I'm meeting with people, out at a restaurant, and when I'm with my husband. I turn the ringer off, and voicemail catches the people who leave messages. I don't know if that's any indication of how I'd handle a Blackberry. I love little gadgets!

Comment

I'm about to sell dh's on craigslist b/c his new job gave him a Treo. I'll PM you the info. Perhaps a cheaper way to take the plunge??

No pressure.

Comment

I don't have one, but DH and I are getting them soon to replace the cell/pager.
                Luanne
                wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Originally posted by Genivieve
                  I'm about to sell dh's on craigslist b/c his new job gave him a Treo. I'll PM you the info. Perhaps a cheaper way to take the plunge??

No pressure.
                  I just PMed you back.

My dad has a Treo. Are they pretty similar to Blackberr[ies], only sexier?

Comment

MUCH sexier. I drool over his Treo. We actually bought a blackberry for me when we bought his (I like toys, too), but I came to my senses and returned it. I don't know if I would have been as strong w/a Treo. There is NO (good) reason for ME to have one.

Comment

Originally posted by Genivieve
                      There is NO (good) reason for ME to have one.

In reading over my "background info" , I realize that I really don't need this either... Er, I don't need one per se. Uh, yeah, don't really need one.

Comment

If Alison doesn't want it, let me know. I'll get it for DH.

Comment

Go ahead and give it to Nellie, Jenn. It seems like she's ready to take the plunge.

Comment

I should probably make sure if works with Verizon service.

I pretty much hate all that electronic stuff. I had a Palm for a while and it just didn't do much for me. DH likes those gadgets and has been talking about the Treo/Blackberry/what have you business for the last few weeks...with plans to activate the service in the fall. I can't take much more of it. I'll buy that from Jenn and then he can activate service in a few months and we can go back to talking about the things that I am obsessing over.

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake
                              I should probably make sure if works with Verizon service.

I pretty much hate all that electronic stuff. I had a Palm for a while and it just didn't do much for me. DH likes those gadgets and has been talking about the Treo/Blackberry/what have you business for the last few weeks...with plans to activate the service in the fall. I can't take much more of it. I'll buy that from Jenn and then he can activate service in a few months and we can go back to talking about the things that I am obsessing over.
                              Again, I think your husband and my dad were cut from the same mold.

Comment

Working...
                              X