Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Not a guy question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not a guy question

OK- I need new hair product. I've been using Tigi Bedhead but it's either greasy or doesn't hold.

Anyone have any non-salon only products that they use that they love. I really don't want to spend 30 bucks for a tub of hair gel.

I have very thick, short, straight hair.

Jenn

not non-salon, sadly

Aveda has a spray-wax that is very light and works wonderfully. It's not cheap ($22-ish a bottle?), but I've liked it better than any other product I've used. If you want, I'll try to remember to get the name next time I'm upstairs.

Comment

Originally posted by Genivieve
      not non-salon, sadly

Aveda has a spray-wax that is very light and works wonderfully. It's not cheap ($22-ish a bottle?), but I've liked it better than any other product I've used. If you want, I'll try to remember to get the name next time I'm upstairs.
      I'm an Aveda girl through and through too.
      :nothing:
      Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Sorry Jenn, every time I try to buy a non-salon product it flops and I end up going back to salon products. I love bumble & bumble and my stylist just put me on to a new b smooth product.

Good luck!
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Sorry to butt in but I also need a gel recommendation.

I stupidly used a straightening iron with a converter in Romania and the thing gave in at the very end and it burned a whole strand of hair right by my forehead.

I've been trying to hide it ever since but the gel I have is absolutely horrible. It hardens and it sheds white residue that makes me look like I have severe dandruff.
          Cristina
          IM PGY-2

Comment

Originally posted by Flynn
            Originally posted by Genivieve
            not non-salon, sadly

I'm an Aveda girl through and through too.
            :nothing:
            Needs

Comment

I have no experience with straight hair, but just wanted to say that places like TJ Maxx and Loehmann's carry salon products (like bumble & bumble) for less.

Comment

Originally posted by MissCrabette
                Sorry to butt in but I also need a gel recommendation.

I stupidly used a straightening iron with a converter in Romania and the thing gave in at the very end and it burned a whole strand of hair right by my forehead.

I've been trying to hide it ever since but the gel I have is absolutely horrible. It hardens and it sheds white residue that makes me look like I have severe dandruff.
                Ok first off... That SUCKS! It doesn't seem like you have really thick hair from you picture. If you are just trying to keep the burnt off pieces down with out having them look stiff and gross I would suggest a spray gel, I use the herbal essance kind. First I spray it on my hand and then smooth down the flyaway pieces. It's more accurate and doesnt get stiff this way.

Comment

You're right, I have fine hair but I have a ton of it, which the picture doesn't show. That photo was probably taken after some serious straightening. What sucks is that the burnt strand is right by my forehead. I'll try the hairspray suggestion.

ETA: there we go, a photo that shows that I'm really not bald. Yet.
                  Cristina
                  IM PGY-2

Comment

I just checked and the one I have is Herbal Essances Spray GEL #2 targeted hold (or something like that) it's not too stiff unless you spray it right on your head. That's why I spray it onto my fingers and then convince the pieces that like to stick up that they shouldn't

Comment

I'm a Bumble and Bumble girl myself, sorry! I buy it from ebay tho and the last set I got (shampoo and the thickening conditioner) I got for 12.00 US......good luck! I would imagine you could get gel too???

Comment

Not much help here either with non-salon products. I use bumble & bumble styling cream. I just use a small amout around my bangs so they go the right direction, but are still soft and flowy. It also works well to tame my colics that like to cause my hair to flip out. It's not cheap, but has lasted me over two years, so it's worth it to me.

Ms Crabette: I have similar hair - fine but lots and lots of it (it's also straight). You might want to try the styling cream, or get a wax/gel that comes in small tubs. DH uses the b&b hair wax and it controls all his short thick hair. You can literally smooth it down whereever and it stays put.
                        Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Working...
                        X