Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Long distance driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long distance driving

Next Wednesday morning at 4 AM my fiance and I will be starting our long drive to Florida. We need to drop off my old car and a few boxes of household goods at a shipper in Palm City. We're starting the drive really early so that I can hopefully avoid the DC Metro area morning traffic. We'll be driving all the way to Brunswick, GA, where we'll spend the night (or part of it).

Unfortunately he cannot drive at all (uninsured in the US) and I'm stuck driving the whole way down. I've done this trip on three separate occasions, but I was always the passenger. Do you have any tips for me?
    Cristina
    IM PGY-2

I haven't done a long trip in a few years but I think it really helps to stretch and walk around a bit when you stop. And drink plenty of water and have good snacks on hand.

How many hours is the drive?

Comment

I alweays listen to a good book on tape, and stop evey two hours jsut to stretch. Coffee, water, and snacks. If you don't like coffee, drink Mountain Dew!!!!
      Luanne
      wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

It's 11 hours to Brunswick, GA, not counting the time needed for stops. Then it's 4 and a half hours from there to Palm City, FL, provided I don't get lost in the tangled mess that is Jacksonville.
        Cristina
        IM PGY-2

Comment

Unfortunately he cannot drive at all (uninsured in the US) and I'm stuck driving the whole way down.
          Does he have a valid license? If he does, he can still drive.

Comment

I agree w/ Luanne .
            Another friend & I drove from Indianapolis to Seattle. We stopped frequently to strech & walk . Coffee & Mt Dew can be a catch 22 ...yes they help to keep you awake but caffine is also a diuretic so you are wide awake, but you might have to pee more!

Comment

no advice, just commiseration. we have gone from vermont to miami--miami to baltimore. both ways with two kiddos and a dog. it sucked major. just take frequent breaks to stretch.

good luck and be safe.
              ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Check your insurance coverage. It may allow for an additional driver if that person has a driver's license.
                married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I'll check my policy, though I'm not very inclined to let him drive this time after not having driven for about two years.

We thought about getting the fm converter, but we probably wouldn't use it after this trip so we'll just make CDs. The name game is fun so I'll keep that in mind. I'm not afraid of falling asleep while driving, but he's a sleeper when riding in the car and it's annoying to be the only awake person. The games will hopefully keep him awake.

Yes, I'm driving 95. Would you believe that I never stepped foot into a Cracker Barrel? I'm going to have to check them out.
                  Cristina
                  IM PGY-2

Comment

If you go on 20 after 95, stop by my house and say hi! I'll make you a snack!
                    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquisher
                      ...Christina, you should be "feelin' the love" ,between your scrubs, and Hedi's rest stop offer, I'd say your doin' pretty good! Plus it will give Heidi another iMSN memeber under her belt !

Comment

Originally posted by pinkpickles
                        Originally posted by Vanquisher
                        ...Christina, you should be "feelin' the love" ,between your scrubs, and Hedi's rest stop offer, I'd say your doin' pretty good! Plus it will give Heidi another iMSN memeber under her belt !
                        Don't think for a second that I am not going to sneak away with the iMSN slut crown. It's as good as mine!

I've got catching up to do, granted, but I'm also crazy enough to take road trips.
                        Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

I also hate having a sleeper beside me. I think that's why I make better time w/my dh isn't w/me and I just have the kids.

I turn the music up REALLY loud and sing and be goofy. I find every NPR station in anything close to an actual town. I figure out who I can call / in what time zone when I'm really getting tired to perk me up. Snacks, water, red bull, coffee.

I actually don't like to make long stops and stretch. I do better w/the 'keep it moving' philosophy.

good luck!

Comment

Heidi, I just might take you up on that offer. I hear you're a fabulous cook What are you doing that Wednesday afternoon?

Oh and I'm definitely feeling the love.
                            Cristina
                            IM PGY-2

Comment

Dammit!

Cristina -

Isn't Kansas City on the way from MD to FL? I'm sure it is ...

Comment

Working...
                              X