Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

a twinge of selfish sadness....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a twinge of selfish sadness....

The husband of my only close friend here in Minnesota is probably going to relocate out of state. (Kris, I definitely consider you a close friend but you do live 90 minutes away It is not the same.) After two years of living here, her family is really the only family that we do anything with on a regular basis. Of course, I'm thrilled for her. She will be moving back east to be closer to family and this job prospect follows her husband's recent lay off. But still, I'm bummed that she is leaving.

I guess that my feeling a sense of community here is going to take a little longer.

Kelly
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

I'm so sorry to hear about this...and yes, I know what you mean......there is a diff. between someone that we see every day and someone we talk to on the phone regularly...I think that if we lived closer, we'd be attached at the hip

This is such a bummer...I really feel for you....I'm still really struggling to fit in here as well, and as much as I know that it just takes "time"...well, it is hard to be patient....

I look forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks.....

Kris
    "I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be."
    Douglas Adams

Comment

Kelly,

I am sorry to hear this. I know how important friends are during residency -- they can literally be lifelines.

We haven't made any friends here so far -- lots of acquaintances, but no one seems interested in anything else. San Antonio was such a military city that there were lots of people that didn't know anyone -- here, it is not so much the case. The lack of friends combined with Wichita Falls being a lackluster place in the middle of nowhere and a disturbing situation at my husband's job makes me want to ask my husband to see about transferring -- but moving is SUCH a hassle and it is hard on the kids, especially the school thing. I am so excited for summer (only one more week of school for my oldest!) because we will be travelling a lot and I can be in denial about where we live! I really hate it here.

Sally
      Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Sorry about this Kelly! I don't that it feels awful to experience that!

Christy

Comment

Thanks everybody! I love my long distance friends but I really need some real live friends!

Christy, you are still pretty close to your friends & family, right? Are you planning to stay nearby when you are done next year?

Sally, I'm sorry that you are going through the same thing. The transient nature of military bases do make it somewhat easier to meet people. Everyone is in the same boat.

For whatever reason, I just haven't made a lot of friends here. I know that this will come, probably right as we are getting ready to move. I just have to give it more time.

Kelly

In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Kelly, that is supposed to read, "I don't like that..." I forgot the word "like". I am a terrible typist!!! LOL!!

Oh, and yes, we live close to family. We live about 1 hour and 15 minutes from my parents, and one hour away from Bob's family! We plan on going back to our home state, but will more than likely be more that one hour away from both families. If Bob get a job in the area we are looking, then we'll be 3-3 !/2 hours away from family. We are different though in our family dynamics. We are pretty independent of our families, yet it's nice to have them semi-close by! LOL!

Christy

Comment

Working...
            X