Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Help from our Arab members please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help from our Arab members please!

When he was travelling to Kuwait regularly, my dad brought back one of those head scarves that men often wear. Its very interesting looking and I'd like to display it but I don't want to offend.

Thoughts?

Jenn

Is it a red checkered or white headdress, w/ a corded band the fits over the cloth around the head? http://www.desertstore.com/pages/mensclothing.html...I would just heavily starch the cloth part , then pin the pieces together or tack them w/needle & tread. Then I would place a couple of nails /hooks in the wall and hang it.

Aside form wrapping a ham in it, using it as a kerchief for your pet potbellied pig, making wine bottle sleeves or liquor bottle pouches out of it ,using it as a diaper / menstruation cloth, or making a dog pillow out of it ,I really don't think you could display it offensively.

Comment

That is cool Jenn, post pics.
      Luanne
      wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

It is cool. I have some great Indonesian masks too. Unfortunately, I don't want to hang a lot until I get these hideous off Williamsburg Blue walls painted.

Thanks for the tips, Suzanne. I'll refrain from serving a ham loaf...

Jenn

PS- my grandmother makes this horrible ham dish with lunch meat- it's basically salted ham with salted ketchup that she salts and serves with pickles (salt) and potato chips (more salt). That's pretty much turned me off ham for the rest of my life. Thankfully I can still eat pickles and potato chips.

Comment

PS- my grandmother makes this horrible ham dish with lunch meat- it's basically salted ham with salted ketchup that she salts and serves with pickles (salt) and potato chips (more salt). That's pretty much turned me off ham for the rest of my life. Thankfully I can still eat pickles and potato chips.

ew.

sounds cool, jenn. i like the idea of hanging it on display. do you have any russian art or things (other than the fur hat, hand muffs, and coat..you have the coat too, right?) you can hang? just curious.
          ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

That's actually our 'thing' when we travel - we try to buy art. If we can't find drawings or paintings, then we try to find stuff made in the area where we're travelling. I have some lovely birch baskets from Russia, along with a pair of earrings made from the granite in the area. (and my fur hat) We have some beautiful water colors from Florence (and my full length reversable suede and leather coat). i have a ton of stuff that I can't wait to 'showcase'. and of course everytime we move we buy a piece of art, too.

Good thing I have really high ceilings- I need all the room I've got!

but first, the faded blue that's now tending toward aqua has GOT to go.

Jenn

Comment

I'll refrain from serving a ham loaf...
              ...now that I think about it, I guess if it is white, or red & white checked, it could serve double duty as a table cloth that you could serve your granny's ham loaf on?? LOL! :>

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn
                That's hardcore. But hardcore what, I'm not sure . . .

What's your grandmother's deal?
                Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

She's the worst cook in the world. great baker, horrible cook.

My father bears scars that still impact the family. Elbow macaroni is never to be served. He literally cannot stand the sight of elbow macaroni. I didn't have mac and cheese until my room-mate in college made me some.

Jenn

Comment

That's funny . I thought it might be one of those geographical isolation + former poverty situations. Those seems to result in both the world's best foods and the world's worst foods.
                    Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                    Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                    Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

That ham dish sounds revolting, Jenn!

We'll have to get you set up with a didgeridoo for your collection when you visit us here...

Comment

Looks like it's a new fashion trend:

http://justjared.buzznet.com/2007/04/17 ... -keffiyeh/

Comment

Working...
                        X