Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Who does most of the Laundry in your house? (NT)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who does most of the Laundry in your house? (NT)

Me (female)

I do, it is safer that way.

Comment

My husband does it all. Even folds it and puts it away (and irons).
      When he was gone on interview trips, I tried my hand at a load of wash and ruined something -- white blanket is now a light green blanket. My priveleges are revoked!
      I do the cleaning and cooking, he washes dishes. That is our division of labor, for the most part.

Comment

Definitely me, but I sort nothing. If I have enough to fill the machine I wash a load!!!
        Luanne
        Luanne
        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Me, about 85% I guess. I fold her stuff and the baby's, but mine I roll up and stuff in drawers.
          (though when my wife does it she folds my stuff - dunno why, I always tell her it's not necessary...)
          Enabler of DW and 5 kids
          Let's go Mets!

Comment

we drop it off at the laundromat and pick it up folded already. then the clean colthes sit in the bag in the closet until it is almost empy and time to drop it off again.

i dream of the day when we will have a washing machine, dishwasher, and maybe even a disposal! five years of marriage and we have never had any modern appliance.
            Mom to three wild women.

Comment

We both did, until I caught my husband throwing a cashmere sweater and an embroidered silk twinset into the wash!!! 8O

Needless to say, he got an education and will now never touch the wash again.

Comment

We both do it, but I say that knowing that right now, I have two bras that used to be white, but are now a kind of pinkish grey. I didn't wash them with the red towels- that's all I'm going to say.

Jenn

Comment

I am not allowed to touch the laundry for that very reason.

My wife will let me wash towels of all the same color, and bed sheets....that pretty much sums it up for me. Don't know how I lived on my own for so many years!!
                  I do get most of the folding and putting away chores though?!

Comment

Every once in a while, my husband gets an urge to "help out" with the laundry and inevitably ruins something! Every time, he gets a lecture! I am very particular about my laundry! I do the folding, too, because things have to be "just so" so that they fit properly into our drawers, etc. Plus, I don't know if any of you have a child like my 7-year-old, but it seems that the only clothes she'll wear must sparkle! After DH washes them, often they no longer sparkle...

He does the dishes, mops the floor, plays with the kids while I cook dinner, and does all the traditional "man chores". This probably will change when he's in medical school.

[/code]
                    Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

We both do. Russ probably puts the laundry in more often than I do but I do a lot of the folding and putting away. Zachary is fit to be tied when Russ does the laundry though because ... there have been many times that his white socks have come out pink and Zach will NOT wear pink socks to school! Picky kid!!
                      Robin

Comment

I basically do 100% of it. Every once in awhile my husband will decide to "pitch in" and does some laundry, but his method of doing laundry drives me crazy. He washes only clothes that are the same color or shade together. So he will have one load filled 1/3 of the way that consists only of things that are red.
                        Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Short answer: My s.o. (male).

I second everything Suwanee said about modern appliances being a distant dream. It's the tradeoff for urban living, I guess.

We do ours ourselves at our local laundromat, and since we don't have a car, that means we have to push it to the laundromat in a wire cart on wheels. This is my least favorite chore but my boyfriend doesn't mind it, so he's mostly in charge of laundry (and I'm mostly in charge of grocery shopping).

We have that oh-so-common problem, though--I don't like the way he does laundry. Pretty much everything I own is black or close to it (what can I say? It's New York) but I have no idea how he gets everything so wrinkled! So I let him do most of it (jeans, socks, towels, etc.), but then I have a small pile I won't let him touch and do myself, later.

We both fold and put away our own, no matter what.
                          Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                          Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                          Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

USUALLY I do the laundry for everyone (ie all six of us). But, sometimes I get behind - waaaaay behind - and my husband (out of exasperation and the need for clean undies) washes a mountain of clothing or two. Most of the time he doesn't ruin anything (ahhh, I've trained him well ). But, usually I am the laundry person in the house. I dream of the day my kids can do their own laundry! We got one of those laundry sorters with three canvas bags. I labeled with crayons the colors and color names for each bag (ie whites/lights, reds, and darks/brights - all listed in colored squares with names nest to the colors). My kids now at least sort their own dirty laundry - made life MUCH easier. One day they will be able to wash and fold it, too! 8)
                            Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                            With fingernails that shine like justice
                            And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

I do 95% of it, and am also very particular about which clothes go on which load, (glad to know I am not alone in this!) so I would just as soon be the one to do it. But DH definitely knows how to do it and does his part in helping to fold and put stuff away. With three boys, plus him, our white loads, with all of the socks and underwear, are very frustrating for me to fold -- so he gets stuck with the whites a lot. Everything else I try to fold right as it comes out of the dryer, and then I sort it later and put it away. I have started having my oldest put away his own clothes, but I am a LONG way from getting much help from my kids. The birth of our third somehow quadrupled (at least!) our laundry. I stayed caught up on it and could do it once a week until then -- now it is going constantly and I feel that I will never catch up.

Sally
                              Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Working...
                              X