Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Gas leak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas leak?

We just switched from an electric cooktop to a gas one. Is it normal to smell a little bit of gas? I have asked DH and a friend staying with us if they smell it, and they say just barely if at all. Should I call the gas company? Or the plumber that put it in? Or is a little smell normal?
    Mom to three wild women.

Is the smell normal when you have it ON or not???

I'd say the gas smell is not normal unless you've used it recently.

We have a gas range too...I really like ours.
    I would call the company and describe what you smell.
    I'd have it checked out just in case.

Do you like the change (other than the smell)?
    Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

It's not normal. Call the gas company and if they can't help, call the manufacturer and see if they can point you in the right direction. My parents have a Viking and love it! I've got a lower end gas stove. They're so much better than electric, because you can manage the amount of heat easier!
      married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Oh, before calling anywhere, check your pilot light. It might be out.
        married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I smell a hint of gas when I light the burners but never after I turn them off or when it isn't being used.

I'd call just to make sure. Even if it is faint, you shouldn't smell it when the stove is off.

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake
            I smell a hint of gas when I light the burners but never after I turn them off or when it isn't being used.

I'd call just to make sure. Even if it is faint, you shouldn't smell it when the stove is off.

Comment

It depends a little on the stove. We have an ancient gas stove and it smells a little right after it's lit and will smell more if I don't turn it down a bit. If it continues while you are cooking, I would say call. The last thing you need is a gas leak. Better safe than sorry.
              Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

There was a gas leak. When we called the plumber he was here in like 10 minutes. He checked for the leak by waving a lighter around .

Thanks for the advice. I have usually had a gas stove bc we always tend to live in old houses. It really is amazing how quickly you can boil something. I am glad we made the switch back!
                Mom to three wild women.

Comment

Gutsy plumber!

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake
                    Gutsy plumber!
                    I don't know that gutsy is the word I'd use.

Our plumber used bubble soap on the pipes. He found the leak when it made bubbles. That was yet another one of our fun Cleveland stories. :| Someone remind me why I was so upset about moving???

Comment

Actually, the last time I had a gas leak, the gas company guy told me that lighting something won't do any harm unless it's been stifled and enclosed for a long time. I thougt the guy was nuts too... but apparently they were right!

Comment

Simethicone will take care of that lickety-split.

Comment

Working...
                        X