Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Hawaii....anyone???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii....anyone???

So Dh and I are stopping in Hawaii for 4 nights (with the kiddos) on our voyage to Australia. Anyone have any recommendations about things to see/do while we are there??? We are staying in Kailua (on Oahu) and managed to find a great 4 bdrm house .2 miles from the beach to rent fairly cheaply, now for activities....

Will you have a car? We loved taking a drive to the north side of the island to get a shave ice at Matsamoto's Grocery Store.
    Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
    Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
    Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Make sure you go to Lanikai (very close to Kailua).
      There are some nice restaurants in Kailua as well.

Shaved-ice is not really my thing, but we did go to Matsumoto's for my dh to have one. It's a bit of a drive from Kailua, but nothing's really far apart on Oahu.

The Pineapple Room (in the Macy's) is excellent. Even though it's in a department store, it's the best meal we have ever had. Alan Wong's (restaurant) is also excellent. The Polynesian Cultural Center was fun (check out their website). If you can get to Hanauma Bay, it's wonderful as well.
      married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Never been to Oahu but I love the islands, have fun!!
        Alison

Comment

Kailua is a great town!! It's on the windy side, but still beautiful.

Koa Pancake House in Kaneohe...there's also a good Mexican restaurant that is BYOB....it's kinda near the pancake place if I remember correctly.

You might be able to see the turtles (honus)....but it might still be a bit too early...I think they are there in late June/July. Turtle Bay and Laniakaea are two good places to see them...along the north shore. You can probably stop and look at Crouching Lion on your trek around the north coast to Matsumotos (worth it - in Haleiwa).

We caught a sunset on Kaena Point (all the way west on Kam Hwy) and it was spectacular.

I've heard the Mormon Temple/Polynesian Cultural Center has the best luau on Oahu...no alcohol and family friendly I believe.

I enjoyed the pineapples at the Dole Plantation....there's a maze that you can pay for the kids to walk through.

I think driving through the mountains on the Pali or Likelike (lee-kee lee-kee) was neat and there's a really pretty lookout on the Likelike that overlooks Kaneohe and the bay.

The walk up to the waterfall at Waimea Valley is pretty easy (paved, native plants/gardens along the way) and its pretty at the top....I don't think you can swim in it though. Waimea Bay was my favorite place on the island!!! I spent MANY hours each day laying on the sand and swimming....)

Of course, Hanauma Bay is nice, but I think the current may be too strong for young swimmers.

You can drive around the whole island in about 4 hours. Though most tourists avoid the west coast.....the locals aren't as friendly.

It's a little on the expensive side but Jameson's By The Sea is a great restaurant in Haleiwa (hah-lay-ee-va). They have a macademian nut ice cream pie that is delicious!

And a little bit east of Turtle Bay (north tip) there a roadside vendor called Giovanni's Shrimp Shack. Cheap but really tasty!!

OK now I must go and plan another trip to Hawaii! So jealous!!!
          Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

I'm jealous too - I've never been to Oahu, if you're going to Maui or Kauai I can help!

Have a great time!
            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I agree, Pearl Habor is really amazing and worth seeing.

Comment

Wait a minute - when will you be arriving in Australia?!

Comment

Thanks for the great ideas

Pearl Harbour is one place I have always wanted to go and I think the big boys are old enough.

Tenshi - we arrive in Sydney on July 1st..YAY!!!
                  DREADING the flights tho...the older boys will be fine, but the 16 month old. UGH!

Next thing will be me hitting you up for the list of "must dos" while in Australia.

Comment

Number one "must do" is to come and see us!

Please don't hesitate to ask us any questions you might have that we might be able to help with. And best of luck with the flight - fingers crossed that it all goes smoothly!

It'll be great to have some iMSN company over here at last, even if you're a twelve hour drive away...

Comment

Working...
                    X