Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Who tips the movers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who tips the movers?

Dh's residency program is paying for our move, but are we supposed to tip the movers? If so, how much?

This was recently discussed in the call room: http://medicalspouse.com/forums/viewtop ... c&start=34
    Alison

Comment

Re: Who tips the movers?

Originally posted by lilponygirl
      Dh's residency program is paying for our move, but are we supposed to tip the movers? If so, how much?
      The RESIDENCY is paying for the move????
      Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Re: Who tips the movers?

Originally posted by Flynn
        Originally posted by lilponygirl
        The RESIDENCY is paying for the move????
        I saw that too! I've heard of such a thing, there may even have been a program or two in our specialty who did it.
        Alison

Comment

We tipped the movers because they're paid military rate which is negotiated much lower than the civilian world.

Jenn

Comment

My SIL is a radiology resident, and when she did her transitional year the program paid for her move. We were truly shocked. Of course, when she started her reads program she was quickly snapped back to reality.
            Rebecca, wife to handsome gyn-onc, and mom 4 awesome kiddos: 8,6,4, and 2.

Comment

Holy crap a residency that pays for a move - that must cost them a fortune to move ALL residents? Ours negotiated rates for us but we still had to pay.

We didn't tip our movers but I also had no idea people did that until after the fact.
              Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

As far as I know movers always get tipped. But what about packers? Do they get tipped too?

Comment

REAL SIMPLE's guide to moving says a tip should = 10% of the move costs. We did NOT do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Genivieve
                    REAL SIMPLE's guide to moving says a tip should = 10% of the move costs. We did NOT do that.
                    10% - are you kidding me

Comment

If I'll be tipping at $20 a head for both packers and movers, I think I'll get to about 10%. :huh:

Comment

Originally posted by Vishenka69
                        If I'll be tipping at $20 a head for both packers and movers, I think I'll get to about 10%. :huh:
                        I think that is about what we did. I can't remember what it got to in terms of a percent.

Comment

I tipped 10 bucks each plus provided unlimited water and sodas and bought both breakfast and lunch.

I figure 1) these guys are not making a ton of money 2) they're busting their butts carrying my stuff around and 3) blatent bribery can't hurt.

Jenn

Comment

Our move was over $6,000 - 10%? I don't think so!

Comment

We only have an apt and since packing and moving are on 2 separate days, I doubt they'll be there for a whole day for either. But as Jenn pointed out, bribery can go a long way.

Comment

Working...
                              X