Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What's the evolutionary purpose behind PMS?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the evolutionary purpose behind PMS?!

Just wondering.

Now where's the damn chocolate?!

I polished it off.

Hope you feel better soon!
    married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Not clear on that. :> Honestly, you'd think we'd be pleasant, happy inviting women when an egg was in place. Maybe it assures that only the truly brave and committed mate will fertilize that egg. They'd have to be to come near a bloated, edgy woman with sore breasts.

Stay away from the salted foods and the chocolate if you want to feel better. I only say that because I'm miles away from you, of course. I'm safe. :>
      Angie
      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Re: What's the evolutionary purpose behind PMS?!

Originally posted by Entropy
        Just wondering.

Now where's the damn chocolate?!

I suspect that the evolutionary purpose is to weed out the weak and stupid men, to ensure that women are procreating with the strongest and smartest--the survival of the species.

My theory goes like this: if the man we live with is stupid enough to challenge us during PMS (for example, suggesting that maybe, just maybe, it's "just the hormones talking that are making you hate me, not the fact that I am breathing too loudly in a deliberate attempt to ruin your day"), then when we justifiably kill him for his thoughtlessness/selfishness/insensitivity, that ensures that we are then free to go out and find a much smarter and survival-oriented mate.

Comment

One with access to chocolate, of course.
          Angie
          Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
          Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Re: What's the evolutionary purpose behind PMS?!

Originally posted by GrayMatterWife
            I suspect that the evolutionary purpose is to weed out the weak and stupid men, to ensure that women are procreating with the strongest and smartest--the survival of the species.

My theory goes like this: if the man we live with is stupid enough to challenge us during PMS (for example, suggesting that maybe, just maybe, it's "just the hormones talking that are making you hate me, not the fact that I am breathing too loudly in a deliberate attempt to ruin your day"), then when we justifiably kill him for his thoughtlessness/selfishness/insensitivity, that ensures that we are then free to go out and find a much smarter and survival-oriented mate.
            Absolutely brilliant.

Comment

Yup, I was also going to suggest something along the lines of developing better survival instincts in men.

Comment

Good ideas on this one. Very thought provoking. It has been AGES since I have had PMS. I sort of miss it My DH swears that being pregnant has made me the most "emotionally stable" person ever. So, what is he trying to say...am I NORMALLY not stable or something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The nerve.

Comment

Amy, I envy you. It's the exact reverse for me. I never experienced any symptoms until after I had kids. Wacky, wacky stuff: the female body. Hopefully I grow out of it.

Comment

Working...
                  X