Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Someone is using Dh's Social Security #!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone is using Dh's Social Security #!!!

I just found out today that someone used DH's social security number to get a job at a car wash. It seems that he must have just randomly made the number up since he didn't use his name or address. I assume it's an illegal immigrant using it to get work.

I called the department of labor since that's is who reported it, and they said they couldn't help me and referred me to the social security administration. After calling them, they said I had to verify this by looking at the annual statement they send of the income total for last year. I told them I had shredded that statement without really looking at it, so now they will have to send me an application to request a new one. :banghead: I asked what they do once I verify and call back. She said they would "research it, but considering the high volume of identity fraud going on now that our case would be low priority." She also mentioned that if I do everything in my power to stop this, then at some point they may assign a whole new number.

It seems to me that they weren't really going to do much to assist me. The good news is that I checked the credit report and all is well there. I just wonder what to do in this situation. I also called the car wash and spoke to a manager and asked if anyone worked there by the name of the guy and he said no. I also called their local corporate office and left a message. Any other ideas?

Also, if his SS# does get changed, would we lose his entire credit history? Right now his score is above 800 and I'd be pissed to have to start over. Has anyone else here had to do that?

I guess if this person is just using it to gain employment, is there any harm? Isn't he just racking up SS that he'll never be able to withdraw?

What a disaster!!! :banghead:
    Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

I had something similar happen to me with the phone company back in the 90's. Someone in a city I've never lived in used my SS# to get phone service under their own name. I eventually got their info off of my account, but it was a huge pain in the ass. And that wasn't even a government bureaucracy. Good vibes being sent your way.

Comment

Make sure you report this to all 3 major credit bureaus immediately...
      A home-health care worker that helped my mom out w/ my late grandma, stole my wallet, but played right a long, when I thought I had left it @ the restaraunt she really did a number on me, until the day I got to testify in court against her! Good luck!

Comment

That sounds so, so frustrating. I'm sorry.

I agree about calling the credit bureaus.

Comment

Re: Someone is using Dh's Social Security #!!!

Originally posted by MD/PhD Wife

I guess if this person is just using it to gain employment, is there any harm? Isn't he just racking up SS that he'll never be able to withdraw?
          Among other things, using it just for getting employed could present a problem if his employer fails to pay any portion of a tax or other obligation that the employee owes but for which the employer withholds and pays on the employee's behalf. If the employer withholds the money but the fails to render it to the taxing authority, the employee is still liable for the shortfall (yeah, the employee can sue the employer for it, but the employer has probably filed for bankruptcy by then or is otherwise in the wind). You just wouldn't want the IRS or someone to think that your DH owes taxes/FICA or whatever that was SUPPOSED to have been paid on behalf of your identity thief!

Comment

Re: Someone is using Dh's Social Security #!!!

Originally posted by GrayMatterWife
            Originally posted by MD/PhD Wife

Among other things, using it just for getting employed could present a problem if his employer fails to pay any portion of a tax or other obligation that the employee owes but for which the employer withholds and pays on the employee's behalf. If the employer withholds the money but the fails to render it to the taxing authority, the employee is still liable for the shortfall (yeah, the employee can sue the employer for it, but the employer has probably filed for bankruptcy by then or is otherwise in the wind). You just wouldn't want the IRS or someone to think that your DH owes taxes/FICA or whatever that was SUPPOSED to have been paid on behalf of your identity thief!
            Ooh, that's a great point I hadn't considered!
            Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Working...
            X