Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Medical SO Helping Around the House?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't remember DH taking call when he was in medical school but he could have. His hours largely depended on his rotation which lasted from 4-6 weeks. Some were very 8-5, others were 60-80 hours, some he was home before I was.

I think every medical school is a little different but the fact that they're taking ALL of the call seems very odd to me.
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Wife is expected to do nothing!
      Her job is to be a resident, mine is to take care of kid and house.

Does she help? Sure she does when she is not exhausted, etc...

She folds clothes, helps clean up after dinner, etc...but not as a routine and NEVER expected.

We have this rule because residency sucks, because 80 hours a week is enough for her to work, and when she is home I want her to play with kid.

When she works less, we will share more.

I know she will help more eventually becuase as it stands now I have to make her stop, to sit down and relax or play with the kid. I mean as hard as SAHD is, I do have more 'free/me" time than she does, as we all must to write on this board.

Comment

DH helps out when he can, and I'm pleased with our chore sharing arrangements. In residency and during board studying he did practically nothing. But now that boards are over he's doing a lot more. For instance, we're moving, and he's doing all the packing while I focus on my volunteer jobs for school. I think there are times when your medical s/o won't be able to help much, because he's working 80 hours per week, and studying, and for me I didn't mind too much taking on all or nearly all of the domestic duties during those times. But I also know that when I'm in school that the roles will be reversed, and that he's willing to shoulder many of the domestic tasks. I still do nearly all of the cleaning, and always have, but he does his share of the laundry, grocery shopping, etc.

Comment

I work as much as DH. Different kind of work, but I often get in later than he does nowadays. He does nothing. Well OK that is not true... he cleans the cat box. He is supposed to take out the garbage but he has left that up to the cleaning person. The cleaning person does everything else. I do the laundry before the cleaning person comes so that it can be ironed.

When DH gets really hungry (this has happened once so far) he will start dinner before I get home. But we're talking 9.30-10PM here. Either that or we just eat out.

Comment

Working...
          X