Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Organization in a small space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organization in a small space

I know there are a quite a few of us living in small spaces and was wondering if you all had any tips on how to keep things organized despite having such limited room. Our new apartment is ~750 sq feet and there is only ONE closet in the bedroom. From what I remember, it's the size of one of our 2 bedroom closets in our old apartment. I seriously don't know how we're going to deal.

Any tips?

1) throw away everything that you haven't worn in a year, you really don't like, or by the time you're able to wear it again it'll be out of style. We kept wool sweaters when we first moved to TX and then 3 years later we got them all out and hated most of them.

2) for the kitchen, streamline with #s of cups/plates/glasses, etc. Make sure things stack easily if at all possible.

3) If you'll only wear stuff when you go to a specific persons house- let them keep it. I wish I'd followed this rule more closely this time, and sent my winter coats to my mothers. I need ONE here, not four.

4) minimalize decorations. I found that in my 515 sq. foot apartment that decorations had to be hung on the walls otherwise they became clutter. especially little stuff.

5) See if your apartment has a storage unit. We rented one everyplace we've ever lived until this house- seven years, and we finally have all of our stuff- and I'm still getting rid of things.

6) Don't let your parents start giving you your childhood momentos. I could have killed Rick's parents when they sent TWO huge boxes full of his trophies and sporting crap. Into storage they went and now they're in the attic dry-rotting.

I'll think of more.

Jenn

Oh- if you don't have a table, consider getting a drop leaf table. I love mine- I kept one side down most of the time and the other side became my table, desk, craft area, etc. When I needed to I could put both sides down or if I actually had more than one person over I could open it up for buffet style eating.

Comment

The lack-of-closets thing is at least as big a . . . challenge as a small overall apartment. I'm hear ya on that one.

I think a big one is having the mentality of thinking of ways to use your vertical space. All of the space up your walls up to the ceiling is valuable real estate and you've got to make use of it with shelves, armoires, the spaces on top of cabinets and armoires, hanging things from the walls you otherwise wouldn't, hanging things from the ceiling whenever possible (such as a pot rack). You've got to think of your space in cubic feet rather than square feet. And getting things flat against the wall is good (coat hooks on the wall rather than a coat tree, etc.)

Also looking for opportunities for hidden storage, such as under the bed, behind the couch, and those ottomans that have storage compartments (I think they sell a version at Target).

And definitely having what storage space you have be well-organized. For a rental you're not going to pay to have California Closets come out and do your closets (well, maybe if you know you'll be there a looong time) but approximating that effect by getting some cheap shelving up in the closets, again using all the cubic feet of the closet and making your stuff readily accessible, will make a closet hold a lot more stuff.

I think the websites for IKEA and the Container Store offer some good examples, even if you don't have those stores near you. But if you do have those stores near you, I think they're both great.

Also the Apartment Therapy website discusses this problem and it's many solutions, though I think there's quite a bit of flotsam and jetsam to wade through on that site. The house tours provide some good ideas, though (plus it's always interesting to see other peoples' places). A lot of people practically make an art form out of making a small space work, though--it's kind of impressive. http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/
      Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
      Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
      Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Thanks ladies!

Jenn - we just sent a bunch of clothes to Goodwill last week and then I went through my closet again using your one year rule and found more stuff. I want to get rid of more of DH's stuff but he won't let me.

Our new apt doesn't have a storage place unfortunately.

I think there is an IKEA near us and I also have a Target gift card so I'll have to look around when we get up there.

Thanks for the website Julie. I might send a picture in.

I wish Nate (from Oprah) could decorate our new place!

Comment

I have several canvas clothes bags under the bed and one for shoes. Since our closets fit only one season at a time, I rotate clothes from under the bed into the closet and vice versa. We also use the space on the bottom of the closets and on top. Get some wall cabinets for the bathroom, they're also handy on keeping cleaning supplies. All the pots and pans are either in the oven or above the stove on a shelf. All our tables are folding/collapsing, as are our chairs. One of the tables has storage space for extra chairs. We also have boxes and storage under everything with legs (dressers, tv console, computer table, etc.).

Comment

Well I can totally understand this. We have a 750 sq. ft. apartment too, and we are quickly growing right out of it. We moved in together at the age of 25, and by then had alot of stuff between us. But, to be honest, most of the little stuff, aka crap, is my boyfriend's. He collects. Everything. And doesn't even know he has half of it. I, however, am the LEAST likely person in the world to think of anything creative. So, the stuff just piles up until I turn into a tornado and start flinging his stuff. Most of the time he has no idea. That tells you how much he values the stuff. Just as long as I don't throw out the toys. Man, he'd bust a gut if I laid a hand on one of those Transformer things. Men regress when there is cheap plastic grey colored little pieces to fit together.

My solution to this problem for us is to buy a house. Like I said, I'm not creative in the slightest!

Hopefully by reading all these suggestions, you will find something useful. I am blown away by half of them myself. So smart!

Eileen

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs. McPads
              Men regress when there is cheap plastic grey colored little pieces to fit together.
              *snort* Tell me about it. You would not *believe* the volume of legos DH has.

My solution to this problem for us is to buy a house.
              Definitely. Make sure he has his *own room* to put all his stuff in, that you can just close the door on and ignore.
              Sandy
              Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Oh oooh oooooooohhhh!!! I AM pretty smart then, because in our tiny 750 sq. ft. apartment, we have two bedrooms. One was *supposed* to be for guests, and there is a bed in there. I think. Under piles of his stuff. I started calling it his room the day we moved in. The boxes of his stuff, his LOADS of stuff, all went in there, and I closed the door, just for my sanity. Which only let him ignore it, so when I did open it two months later, the boxes were still there...unpacked. <Sigh> So, after nagging enough, he finally did unpack, and the stuff now sits in piles...instead of the boxes.

So, we are in the process, the long drawn-out process, of buying a house. When we move, he will be in his intern year. So, this is my chance. I can't WAIT! He will be too tired to know or care that I have thrown out almost everything he owns. Plus, I am hiring movers, so that the poor guy doesn't actually have to move stuff on top of all of the other upheaval at work. So I will pack, and then unpack, everything. Which is good. Because that way I know it gets done! Is this sick? I used to be a control freak, until we started dating. He has balanced me and allowed me to relax ALOT. But I get quite giddy at the thought of getting to keep things the way I like. i.e. not cluttered....so I guess I am still a control freak. Oh well.

Comment

He will be too tired to know or care that I have thrown out almost everything he owns.
                  I haven't had a chance to introduce myself.

:hey: hi

But this is a huge issue in our house...except....I don't collect a bunch of junk....my dh has thrown out stuff that HE thinks is junk for years on end only for me to not be able to find photo cd's, books that I cherished...you NAME it.

I'd suggest a team approach to throwing away....

kris
                  ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                  ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

So I will pack, and then unpack, everything. Which is good. Because that way I know it gets done! Is this sick? I used to be a control freak, until we started dating. He has balanced me and allowed me to relax ALOT. But I get quite giddy at the thought of getting to keep things the way I like. i.e. not cluttered....so I guess I am still a control freak. Oh well.
                    This totally describes me. DH's job during any move is to stay out of my way.

Comment

Things sometimes fall off the moving van, too.

Like my husband's stinky papasan chair, his cd racks, some bar stools...

Jenn

Comment

Ah, yes. I ought to take the advice from the pros. That big truck...lots of room to lose stuff.

I would never throw out photos, though I am tempted to throw out CDs that he has had since I met him in church when we were 8. Well, maybe not that long, but probably 15 years...His mom is going to help pack (i hope) so that when it comes to memories, she will be help to help me fling the fling-able and keep the keepsakes.

Thanks for the suggestions

Eileen

Comment

Things have slowly been disappearing over the years and somehow ending up at Goodwill but I think he is catching on.

Comment

Working...
                          X