Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Yard Sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yard Sale

How do you price items? I want to make $$ but not scare people away.

Ex.
    Sleeper sofa - in used cond. w/ some tears, beige chenille. Orig $900 at PB Outlet

Patio dining set - table, 2 benches, 2 chairs...used to be honey brown and
    is now grayish. Orig $600

Changing table - used

Movies - both VHS and DVD

???? Newbie at the yard sale thing

I go low. My goal at a yard sale is never to make $, but to make more $ than if I dropped it at Goodwill.

VHS - $1, DVD $2

Couch - your description didn't bode well considering tears ... I'd be surprised if you can get $100. Maybe $150 if it looks better than what is in my mind's eye.

Patio set - same thought - depending on how well the 'grey' look shows, perhaps $100, more like $75

Sadly once your backside has been on it for a few years, it doesn't really make a big difference what you originally paid for it.

Good luck.

Comment

Very good. No, I'm not looking to make too much $$ - just enough to get a dino bedding set for DD's new room.

I might go $2oo on the sofa b/c it is actually just one 1" tear on bottom front and a patch of loose threads on the side seam from supercat.

Thx.

Comment

I agree with Jenn. My goal at that point is just to get rid of it. You might be able to get closer to $200 if you put it on Craig's List and wait but that is more work for you.

I say start at $200 and if it isn't gone halfway through lower it through the day. Even if you get $50 that is more than you started with.

Comment

Well, the sale is this weekend. I think I have everything reasonably priced . . . I hope. My sister told me to go on the higher end of low so that we can bargain down?

How much would you sell clothes for? These are nice clothes (some really nice!) that if I can't get a decent price for, I would rather wait and sell them on ebay. But I'm willing to take a reasonable price just to be done with it. Most of the clothes just don't fit me well and I never wear them - from Nordstrom, BR, etc.

Comment

for the clothes you might be better off just waiting for ebay. most garage salers are really looking for the bargain, and tend to stray away from anything with a real price on it - even if it would be worth it.

I'd also suggest not really marking too high. People will want to bargain, but something too highly marked will just drive people away. If there is something you really have a target price for in your mind, don't mark it. If someone is interested they'll ask, and you can work the bargaining from there.

Good luck.[/list]

Comment

I agree -- if the clothes are in good condition you will probably get a better price on ebay. You could do the lots of clothing to make it go faster. But if it is the difference between moving them or not, I would say sell at the garage sale.

Comment

You could also take the clothes to a consignment store. I always check out the clothes at a garage sale, and if anything was much more than $5 per item I would probably not buy it. Plus the odds of someone being your exact size and interested in dropping a fair amount of $ on clothes....
                Mom to three wild women.

Comment

I would not buy clothes at a yard sale but in my mental wierdness, have no problem buying from consignment shops, ebay, OR goodwill.

I don't know- maybe it's my hatred of haggling. (I get so screwed in foreign lands)

Jenn

Comment

Consignment is a great idea.

I consigned some clothes before we moved -- same dilemma with them being too nice for a garage sale -- and made sure they had my new address. It was great to get a check for $60 in the mail especially because I forgot that I might be getting that money.

Comment

Working...
                    X