Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

How much do you pay your sitter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much do you pay your sitter?

Kelly,

The best advice would be to ask the girl before you pay her. I have had some teenagers who are very definite about their rate, and some who are too embarrassed to name a figure. I pay right around $5/hr. but that is for three kids. I would factor in how much of the time your son will be awake and what your house looks like when you get back. I have found that things tend to be cheaper in TX -- do you know anyone there that you can ask?

Hope that helps! Happy anniversary, by the way! What number? Our twelfth anniversary is August 11th -- I am in the process of looking for a sitter for that weekend. Have fun!

Sally
    Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Kelly, I would pay $3/hour here for a teenager to watch Jonah. For both of our boys, I would probably pay an additional $1. Wesley is 9yo and doesn't require much attention, yet Jonah only being two, I would give more to get more. That's my 2c.

Kelly, congratulations on your upcoming wedding anniversary!!! Sally, congratulations to you also on 12 years!! I'm happy for you both!!

Christy

Comment

It is probably more in the East, but my oldest daughter (in college) gets $10/hr to watch three children. She gtes $6/hr from another family with one child.

Luanne
      Luanne
      wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

We are in the process of hiring our first teenager to come watch our son while we celebrate our wedding anniversary. We would use our babysitting cooperative parents but they are scheduled to deliver their second child anyday now. (The nerve---can't they schedule their lives around our dinner plans! ) Seriously, what would be a reasonable rate of pay for one child for a few hours while we go out to dinner?

Kelly

In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I've heard the going rate for watching two children in this area is $8/hr. That works out to be $16/hr for a sitter for my kids! I'll have to start throwing in medical and dental coverage, too, at those rates! I think sitters cost a great deal more in the East, you're right, Luanne....

Jennifer

Comment

Most people in my area pay about $5/hr. For my twins, I pay $6 and that seems to make the sitters really happy. My neice took a babysitting course, and the instructor told her that you should pay about $3/hr per child.

Comment

Janet, in Dallas I paid babysitters $5 to $6 an hour to watch my three kids (before Sophia came). I'd pay $5/hour if the kids were already in bed and the sitter just had to, well, sit. I'd pay $6/hour if the kids were awake and on the loose. If what I've been told is true, it is MUCH more expensive to hire a babysitter in Boston than it is in Dallas....

Jennifer

Comment

Christy- Back when I was a teen I think I made $2.50/hour for one child and $50 flat for holidays like New Year's Eve. Exthortion in the DC suburbs. (but people paid!)

Jenn

Comment

You are kidding me, Jenn...Man, I was duped! The most I ever got for a night of babysitting on New Years Eve was $20....:/

Kris

Comment

Just make sure the sitters you use have had safety training. Pay for it yourself if you have to. If you find someone you really like and trust and the kids like them - send them to a safety course, better yet, go with them. Our hospital offers these classes, so does the local YMCA and the red Cross. It is the BEST insurance you will ever buy. If you have to pay a little extra, it is worth it. When my girls were little, I contacted the local Nursing School and posted a sign on the bulletin for a babysitter. Another good source is the hospital. Nuursing assistants make great babysitters, and sometimes they are also in Nursing school.

Luanne
                    Luanne
                    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Oh goodness, I must be getting a deal!!! LOL!!

Comment

No kidding, Christy.....we paid $8/hour for 3 in Florida

Comment

That is SUCH an incredibly good point, Luanne!

Jennifer

Comment

Well, I got these girls at church... maybe that's why??? I have no clue... I'm feeling guity now for paying them so little... LOL!!

Comment

Christy: Ouch! You've been lucky! I don't know if I would babysit for $3/hour! Hee! I usually received $5-7 dollars per hour when I was a teenager. I think the going rate these days ranges from $5-10/hour depending on how old the babysitter is. It always confused me as a teen when some mothers would try to pay me "cheaply" for lack of a better word. I'm taking care of your most prized possession after all - it is in your best interest to make sure I am a content employee! So in a way I think babysitters should get a pretty hefty fee but I also know that it's tough when you have a lot of kids - or even one! Especially when you're in residency and you're aching for a date! I guess it's good to find the not quite old enough to drive teens who are happy with lower wages!

Sorta related but not really - I am also disgusted with how little money childcare workers receive. I had actually thought of doing that until I can find a job but they only earn $6-7 dollars an hour!

Comment

Working...
                              X