Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

my computer....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my computer....

is running like crapola...since last night. we ran the virus scan, even back dated it...it's still running like crap. dh so badly wants a Mac. we just can't seem to take the plunge and spend on one, tho.

crappy computer!!!
    ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

We're also waiting for our ancient computer to die and then we're getting a Mac. I can hardly wait. I try not to use it on weekends because I hate it so much.

Comment

SLOW COMPUTERS SUCK!! but can i just say, i have a mac (powerbook G4) got it in 2004 and it runs VERY SLOWLY!! so i don't know if maybe it is just old but it is so frustrating!! sorry to burst the mac bubble...but they run slow too!

Comment

it's not even old. its barely 2yrs old, from Dell.

we have had trouble with it since we got it. dh has fought and fought over the phone with them...done everything they have told us, and it's still a piece of shit.

our older Dell, a laptop runs faster.
        ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Originally posted by CityChic919
          SLOW COMPUTERS SUCK!! but can i just say, i have a mac (powerbook G4) got it in 2004 and it runs VERY SLOWLY!! so i don't know if maybe it is just old but it is so frustrating!! sorry to burst the mac bubble...but they run slow too!
          We had this problem with our old PB 12" and we dropped in more RAM and now she purrrrrs like a kitten!

Also, I just got my Mac Book back from the shop, my hard drive failed after like 6 months! Always backup regularly!
          - Eric: Husband to PGY3 Neuro

Comment

We have two Dell laptops that are now ancient - at least 6 years old and they both work great!
            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Yeah, go Mac! I love mine and I managed to convince DH to get one too. They're expensive but so worth it. Check out the refurb section on the Apple website. You get more for your money and the computers are in pristine condition. Mine even came with extra RAM.

Lauren, if it's slow it probably needs more RAM. I have 1 GB in mine and I wouldn't go lower than 512 MB.
              Cristina
              IM PGY-2

Comment

But you don't have to buy RAM from apple, if you can do it yourself, you can save a boatload of money (but it is much easier to just walk up to the genius bar and be like "MORE RAM PLZ")

Comment

I couldn't agree more. Apple RAM is crazy expensive and you can find it for much less elsewhere. Crucial.com comes to mind.
                  Cristina
                  IM PGY-2

Comment

is it easy to put it in yourself?

Comment

the only tough thing is not scratching the casing when taking out the screws!

what size screen/processor speed is your PB? I'll link you directly to the DIY instructions from apple.com

Comment

I think right now it's 512mb but i'm not sure...I'm totally clueless when it comes to this stuff, but DF would be the one to do it for me (of course he's on call right now so he's not home )

Comment

oh, no problem!

So basically, to figure out what type of memory you need, you just need to know if you have a 12", 15" or 17" and then go to the "about this mac" in the apple menu (all the way on the left of the menubar) and find what it says about the processor (it'll probably be 1.33 GHz or 1.5 GHz). That screen will also tell you how much memory you have in there now.

Comment

ok i know i have a 12" and i think i have 1.33GHz, but I am at work right now and will check as soon as i get home to verify that...but 1.33 sounds right

Comment

instructions from Apple and ifixit

You'll need this sort of RAM (PC2700 DDR)

Comment

Working...
                              X