Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

residency kit: need your expertise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• residency kit: need your expertise

I'd like to put together a little package for my SO before he starts residency... any ideas about what I should put in there?

So far, I have:
    -a funny resident t-shirt ("Will operate for sleep"... ha, ha?...)
    -3 bags of coffee
    -starbucks double shot espressos in the little cans
    -a little surgeon stuffed animal
    -maybe a how to survive residency book? maybe that's lame.
    -those cheap obnoxious syringe pens from ebay.
    -maybe a travel mug...hmm...

any other ideas? Anything that would be actually helpful?

Wow, am I the bitch of the year or what? I was thinking, "that's sweet! I would never do that for my husband!"

Reminder cards to call you?
    Honey do list?

See, I'm not good at this.
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

how about coupons for a backrub or something. Cute idea.
      Needs

Comment

Hmmmmm. Cute idea.
        • energy bars, granola bars, something he can eat when it's 3 a.m. and the cafeteria is closed (snacks in general)
          lots of undershirts and clean socks -- he won't have time to do much laundry
          a thick skin? (just kidding here)
          Dumbo's feather (again, I'm cracking MYSELF up here. )

Reminders to call you to say hi for five seconds isn't a bad idea Heidi. It's realistic.

I did DH's laundry a fair bit when he was an R1. It helped him function and for some reason helped me feel I was part of his life even though I never saw him awake.

I also did his grocery shopping (he paid me back) AND made sure he had some yummy stuff to warm up whenever he DID come home. (no we didn't live together)

...really, residency hasn't impacted my life or personality at all!
        Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

I agree about the snacks.
          Is he doing surgery? If so, some of those support socks. And maybe a pair of dansko clogs.
          Does he have an iPod? If so, a giftcard to iTunes so that he can download stuff to watch while he has downtimes.
          Hand cream. DH is forever trying out my expensive creams (even if they aren't for hands ) on his hands. He washes them so much they are always dry.
          Travel sized bath products for showers at the hospital.
          Lots of socks and underwear since he probably won't have time to do laundry on a regular basis.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquisher
            Wow, am I the bitch of the year or what? I was thinking, "that's sweet! I would never do that for my husband!"
            If you're bitch of the year, I think we share that crown. My reaction was really close: "Wow! How nice! I am a total bitch. There's no way I would do that. I would have thought: he's already cost me thousands of dollars interviewing for residency (plane tickets, applications, etc.), getting "outfitted" (suit, shoes, ties, attache, etc.) for residency interviews, and moving costs related to residency. Not to mention the loss of my job, costs related to my job search, and buying a house. I am in no mood to spend any more money on him, to celebrate the beginning of his $40K-a-year, 16-hour-a-day job. I think not."

But I think she's awesome for doing it! Very inspirational, honestly. I remember--many years ago--when I was like that. Energized by her example, I think I may run out to Target today and see if I can find him a "Congratulations" card. The new chief residents take over today, which means that the new academic year has begun...which means that my DH survived his PGY2 year! WHOO HOO! It's supposed to be the biggest beat-down year in the neurosurgery residency (at least here...). He does deserve a little recognition.

Comment

I got dh caffinated peppermints. That's as far as I go.

Comment

Honey do list?

Heidi, that made me laugh.
                Luckily my SO doesn't need to be reminded to do anything. Yet.

But I think she's awesome for doing it! Very inspirational, honestly. I remember--many years ago--when I was like that. Energized by her example, I think I may run out to Target today and see if I can find him a "Congratulations" card. The new chief residents take over today, which means that the new academic year has begun...which means that my DH survived his PGY2 year! WHOO HOO! It's supposed to be the biggest beat-down year in the neurosurgery residency (at least here...). He does deserve a little recognition.
                I'm glad to have sparked something there... DH is gifted and he works hard, you married him and you love him, right? I absolutely think he deserves recognition!

I'd like to stay like this for as long as possible. I know it's going to be tough, but at the same time, we're beginning a new life together and that's the most exciting part of all.

I'm a sap, but I haven't been this happy in years.

Thanks for all of the great ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by *Lily*

He's already got plenty of shirts with stuff like "Microbiology Lab: STAPH ONLY" on them.
                  hilarious! :happyrolling:

Comment

Originally posted by KarrotKake22

Honey do list?

[quote:7d7ce]But I think she's awesome for doing it! Very inspirational, honestly. I remember--many years ago--when I was like that. Energized by her example, I think I may run out to Target today and see if I can find him a "Congratulations" card. The new chief residents take over today, which means that the new academic year has begun...which means that my DH survived his PGY2 year! WHOO HOO! It's supposed to be the biggest beat-down year in the neurosurgery residency (at least here...). He does deserve a little recognition.
                    I'm glad to have sparked something there... DH is gifted and he works hard, you married him and you love him, right? I absolutely think he deserves recognition!

I'd like to stay like this for as long as possible. I know it's going to be tough, but at the same time, we're beginning a new life together and that's the most exciting part of all.

Thanks for all of the great ideas![/quote:7d7ce]

Actually, I was being only half-serious. Yeah, I'm a total cheapskate and don't buy him stuff like this because he really wouldn't use the items. But I do bake a lot for him and fix him dinner almost every night, even when he doesn't get home until really late, and I try really hard not to "jump him" with nagging when he gets home. (Sort of trying to make home a respite, rather than a continuation of hunger and pressure.) He seems to really appreciate that. So that's my contribution in the "supportive wife" role. I really do admire what he does and he deserves to unwind.

Comment

If he's anything like my DH, Redbull and Monster Khaos are almost a requirement for proper functioning. Might not hurt to throw in a couple.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayMatterWife
                        Originally posted by KarrotKake22

Honey do list?

[quote:b9852]But I think she's awesome for doing it! Very inspirational, honestly. I remember--many years ago--when I was like that. Energized by her example, I think I may run out to Target today and see if I can find him a "Congratulations" card. The new chief residents take over today, which means that the new academic year has begun...which means that my DH survived his PGY2 year! WHOO HOO! It's supposed to be the biggest beat-down year in the neurosurgery residency (at least here...). He does deserve a little recognition.

Thanks for all of the great ideas!
                        Actually, I was being only half-serious. Yeah, I'm a total cheapskate and don't buy him stuff like this because he really wouldn't use the items. But I do bake a lot for him and fix him dinner almost every night, even when he doesn't get home until really late, and I try really hard not to "jump him" with nagging when he gets home. (Sort of trying to make home a respite, rather than a continuation of hunger and pressure.) He seems to really appreciate that. So that's my contribution in the "supportive wife" role. I really do admire what he does and he deserves to unwind.[/quote:b9852]

Very inspirational, honestly.
                        Darn. I thought I actually contributed some good vibes to the wifey.

I don't know many guys that wouldn't consume some mints, coffee, wear the socks, or refuse an offer for a backrub.

I think my SO will love his package.

Thanks again for all of the ideas.

Comment

I second the travel toiletries. DH has a "call bag" that he brings with toiletries so he can shower and brush his teeth in the morning after his call. Some of the stuff in it I bought more for me than for him. I don't want him coming home with his "i've been up for 30 hours" breath.

The iTunes gift card would be nice too. I know DH spends more time than he thought he would doing random paperwork and he cranks up his iPOD to help pass the time.
                          Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

STAPH ONLY

Comment

Has anyone said pager batteries yet? DH keeps a supply in his bag.

Comment

Working...
                              X