Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

residency kit: need your expertise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vanquisher

No, I do, do nice things for him, and I really really try, but it is like changing my DNA to be supportive of residency.
    Heidi -- no apologies. Of COURSE you do nice things. I think raising your kids virtually on your own to be the fantastic people they are, and hating residency but NOT your spouse is very generous. For every success in surgical marriage (still in training) we all can think of MANY a train wreck.

You are knee deep in a hellish residency with a few (being positive here) years left. In your case, if you're not bitter by now you're chewing on "happy pills" every three hours whistling "Climb Every Mountain" (the song the head nun sings in "The Sound of Music" ) while you press your dress and apron in the anticipation for DH to come home to a three course meal. PAAAALEEEESSSEEE!

We both live in the real world so THAT'S not going to happen.

Cut yourself some slack girl!
    By the way, you look MAAAAAAAAA-velous!
    Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

On that note, I would like to commend you all for being so strong and supportive thoughout residency. A lot of you said you feel mean, or "100 years old", etc but it's immensely more difficult to raise your kids, keep your house in order, work your jobs, and help out your hubby than it is for me to just buy my SO a bunch of goodies. Sure, that may be a sweet gesture, but what you all do on a daily basis takes the cake.

Comment

Hi everyone,
        I would like to let you guys know that I just put an Intern survival kit together for my fiance. He loved it! I remembered everything but the shower shoes, I think. Shoved it all in a manly cosmetic bag, and he couldn't be happier. What a great idea! Thanks!
        Eileen

Comment

Ok all done! Shower shoes, great idea! I'll have to pick some up tomorrow.

I also threw in some useless stuff like:

-a "Box o' Luck" complete with horseshoe, rabbits foot, #7 (so he doesn't kill anyone)
          -Mint soap (to naturally re-energize the senses)
          -energy gum
          -an adorable surgeon puppet I found for $3.99 on ebay
          -a massage kit
          -lucky bamboo
          -water activated hair gel strips
          -a coffee recipe book

I might have gone a tad overboard but whatever. Yipeee he gets it tomorrow!

Comment

This is a last minute suggestion but you might get him his OWN combination lock. Unfortunately when you're in a resident room, some people have sticky fingers.
            Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

O.K. the guilt of becoming an uber-beyatch is wracking me.

After searching DEEP for instances of kindness like this, I sort of remember programming the number to his favorite Chinese restaurant in his cell and then making sure he had enough money in his wallet. (DH has an ATM aversion).

Does your sweetie have a favorite cuisine close to the hospital?

Kelly
              In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I genuinly feel bad about not doing anything, especially as today is DH's first call. And I am living the dawkters wife life.
                When it cools down thisevening I am going to walk to the store and get a little kit together. Not so hard. Too late for tonight but they'll be another call night, and another......

Comment

Originally posted by house elf
                  O.K. the guilt of becoming an uber-beyatch is wracking me.

After searching DEEP for instances of kindness like this, I sort of remember programming the number to his favorite Chinese restaurant in his cell and then making sure he had enough money in his wallet. (DH has an ATM aversion).

Kelly

soul sisters
                  Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

I was nice up until the night he asked me to bring Grumms up to the VA for both of us and another guy intern year. I show up, am greeted by his supervising resident who says "He's taking off a foot right now. Do you want to wait so you can eat with him?"

Uh ... no. And you can have my sub.

Comment

I think right now I'm the nicest I've been in the past 4 years. He's super freaking for the boards and I do my best to stay out of his way while making sure he has all he needs. He said he's afraid to come home after the boards. Me being this nice for over a month won't be without repurcutions.

Comment

Working...
                      X