Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Robin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robin

Hi Robin,

Kris told me you do transcription work from home so I was hoping to chat with you--I'm in the process of starting a medical billing business. I think running a business is hard enough when you've got kids, but it is that much harder when you don't have a spouse that works regular hours that can watch the kids. I'm trying to avoid the pattern of staying up until 2am to get my work done. I was wondering how you handle caring for your children--do you utilize childcare? I'd love some advice if you get a chance!

Sue
    Awake is the new sleep!

Hi Sue,

I just started back up to work yesterday! It was nice to have a six week break. I too am trying to avoid the 2 am thing. It makes me a grouch the next day. My daily schedule usually looks something like this.

6:30-10 am - Clean the house, get kids ready for school and then play with my two-year old.

10 am-3 pm - my window to get most of my typing done. Of course, there is lunch in the middle and errands I may need to run but for the most part, I try to work then. I will get quiet toys or puzzles for my two-year old to do sitting on the floor beside me. He takes a nap at 1 pm so I have complete quiet for a couple of hours (that is if all goes well! )

3pm-8:30 - Time with the family. I try not to work when the kids come home from school until after they go to bed.

8:30-11 pm work if I still have work to do. I do try to get my work done by 3 pm so that I can have the evening off. Who knows, my husband may actually be home and awake so I would rather spend time with him.

Of course, it doesn't always work like that and I have done the 2 a.m. thing before but I try not to. It is going to be hard this week because my kids haven't started school. I would much rather be doing stuff with them.

I always wanted to do medical billing but I fell into medical transcription because of a good friend. She trained me and I didn't need to be certified. Then when work slowed for her, she called her former employer for me and I started working for her. I am the first person to work for her out-of-state and so far, it is going great. It has been a great blessing for our family and for my sanity. I learn a lot and feel like I am accomplishing something. After just finding out how much it is going to cost me to put my kids in soccer for one season, I am wanting to work some more to help pay for it. My goal: To afford a new van!!!!

Anyway... I don't know if that helped. I think it is great when there is an opportunity to work at home while the kids are young. Good luck!

Robin

Comment

Hey, a minivan is one of my goals, too! I've got lots of debt to pay off first, but with 2 kids in carseats, a minivan just makes more sense.

Thanks for posting your schedule, maybe I need to get more structured like that so I won't put my work off. Actually I don't even have clients yet (I've been marketing for several months, but it is really hard to get that first client). For now I'm trying to use the time I would be working for marketing and education.

Its funny that you actually thought about medical billing originally, because I originally thought about medical transcription but I wasn't sure how to go about getting into it. My neighbor does billing so I kind of stole her idea.

Thanks again for replying to my message--you make it sound pretty do-able!

Have a great day!

Sue
      Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Working...
      X