Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Inmate Shoots Corrections Officer While at Utah Hospital

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inmate Shoots Corrections Officer While at Utah Hospital

GOOD GRIEF! This is so sad...I am really sorry to hear about the corrections officer, but glad that staff at the ortho dept of U of Utah Medical Center were not hurt!

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah (AP) -- An inmate stole the gun from a corrections officer and shot him to death Monday when the prisoner was unshackled for a doctor's appointment, authorities said.

Curtis Allgier fled the University of Utah medical center on foot, carjacked a Ford Explorer and was captured miles away at an Arby's restaurant after a high-speed chase.

Allgier, whose face and neck are covered with tattoos including a swastika and the words "skin head" on his forehead, was in an examination room at the campus orthopedic center around 7:45 a.m., university Police Chief Scott Folsom said.

"There was some sort of altercation. The inmate got hold of the weapon and shot the officer," he said.

Stephen Anderson, 60, a 22-year-veteran, was shot in the head, authorities said.

Police stopped Allgier's vehicle by placing spikes in the road near the Arby's.

Inside the restaurant, at least one person was "struck with some object" but was able to walk out, bloodied around the head, Salt Lake City police Sgt. Rich Brede said.

Allgier, 27, was not armed when he was captured inside the manager's office, Brede said.

The Utah Department of Corrections routinely transports prisoners to the university for medical appointments. Allgier had lower back pain and was taken to the orthopedic center for an MRI. He was unshackled for the procedure, said Tresha Kramer, spokeswoman for the orthopedic center.

The procedure requires an officer to replace metal restraints with a plastic "flex cuff," Patterson said.

"We do not know exactly what happened" in the room, Tom Patterson, director of the Utah Department of Corrections, said.

Allgier was in prison on a parole violation. His criminal record includes burglary, forgery and at least one weapons crime, according to records.

Police arrived at the Arby's just as Shirley Smiley, 57, was outside after breakfast with her husband and son. She didn't see Allgier but heard a "popping noise" inside that was a gunshot.

Police yelled "get down!" and the three of them dropped to the ground in the parking lot, Smiley said.

WOW, very sad. One of my girlfriends is a corrections officer. Well now he can add murder to his rap list.
    Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

This kind of stuff makes me really sad and nervous. My brother is a corrections officer in NYC. I don't get why he had to shoot him in the head...
      Danielle
      Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

how sad for the family of the officer.

what a pig. here is a pic of the guy.
        ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

how can a person who does that to their person ever hope to be anything other than an inmate? you can't exactly get a job looking like that ...

Comment

Working...
          X