Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Rotations and rotations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotations and rotations

I agree, if the opportunity makes itself available during his surgery rotation take it. That's probably one of the hardest rotations IMO and he'll be spending most of his home time studying or sleeping.
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Go!

This isn't the first or the last time you'll have to do things on your own so you may as well benefit from it.

He won't even know you're not around during the surgery rotation. My husband (then boyfriend) basically was home about 5 hours a day- maybe.

Jenn

Comment

GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO!

If you can swing it on a busier rotation, even better, but don't miss this opportunity. If you go during any surgery, ob/gyn, oncology, trauma - it will be a wash. You wouldn't see him anyway.

And if you end up going on one of his lighter rotations - so be it. You're not leaving him "high and dry". LOTS of people do this med school thing w/o anyone to cook them dinner or wash their clothes, and most of them aren't looking for a soulmate to unload on after a very long day. They want sleep. If you pass this up, I can almost guarantee that you'll get ticked off one day that you skipped this to sit in the living room while he sleeps.

Comment

I agree with everyone else, and it's not like he isn't ever going to be leaving you for work. A lot of people do away rotations in 4th year to give themselves better opportunities for the match.

Go, and don't feel guilty about it!
        Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Go, go, go! I agree w/ the surgery or ob/gyn rotations. It was a while ago, but DH was busier on his IM rotation than ob/gyn (because of the way the structured the blocks).

Comment

Another vote to go!

The hours he'll be gone to tend to vary with the school he is at. For us (at UTMB in Galveston), the med students weren't allowed to be there before 6 and all of the med students had were required to leave by 6 unless they were on call (which I think for us was only 4 days out of the whole month) - but that is still a 12 hour day!

For us, the medicine months(s) - I think we had two in a row - were the same - 12ish hour days coupled with the fear that anyone who exhibited "unusual behavior" as deemed by the medicine clerkship coordinator would fail and have to repeat the two months....but that is another thread......

Go! Go! Go!
            Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

No experience with US med school rotations but I agree with the others - go while you can. Take the opportunity while you have no kids or whatever.
              Maybe you can choose a close enough city that will allow you to visit once or twice to break up the time apart?

Comment

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! During the surgery rotation!!!!
                Luanne
                wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I say GO GO GO.
                  And GO whenever the opportunity is available to you. Seriously during the 8 weeks of surgery all DH wanted to do was sleep and veg when he was actually home. His days started at 4:30am and he didn't come until 6-7pm. And he had 12 weeks of IM and depending on where he was at, it was no picnic either. He'll survive. Just stock up the freezer with some good eats. As long as DH has some good eats, beer, and ESPN he's fine for at least awhile. 6 weeks will go by fast, especially if you are both busy.

Comment

GO

I also would recommend going. To reiterate what others have said, he will be very busy for surgery and medicine too. I know my DH did a month of neuro and 2 months of general surgery. YUCK. For neuro he literally was up at 4 or 4:30am. He rolled out of bed, with scrubs on for the day. Went to the hospital until 7pm (on a good night). Then home for a very quick dinner and then he would read until 9 or 10pm then shower for the next day. Then he was on call q3. General surgery wasn't much different, except I think he could get there a bit later in the morning....maybe around 5:30 or 6pm? I can't remember.

Then for medicine, he also worked pretty long hours, BUT the worst was that there is so much reading and preparing to do for medicine that when he was home, he read all the time. And was on call quite frequently.
                    So anyways...though I know I was a great support to him through all that (getting him fed, doing laundry, taking care of things at home, etc.) I would suggest you do your own thing. It would be a good time to do it.

There is no way around it...3rd year sucks!!! You and he will get through it and then the light at the end of the tunnel is 4th year. My DH had 3 months off throughout the year.

Good luck to you!!

Comment

Working...
                    X