Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

need vacuum advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need vacuum advice

So DH and I need to get a real vacuum. In the past couple years we had a $75 one from Target or something that was held together by a pencil when a bolt fell out of the handle. We got rid of that one and now we're ready to invest in a top-of-the-line vacuum. However, I know nothing about them.

What we need is one that does regular vacuuming, but also steam cleans, and has attachments for vacuuming the couch, etc., and is good on both carpet and hardwood floors. I've heard Dyson is good, but can anyone suggest an actual model number or specific type?

Thanks!

:dyson:

I don't know that Dyson's steam clean, mine doesn't.

But I really like my DC-14 Animal.
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

What is it about Dyson that makes it so popular? Also, do you find this brand at Sears, etc. or would Target have it?

Comment

We have the Dyson DC07 Animal. LOVE it! great on hardwoods, carpets, upholstery, etc.

You can find Dysons anywhere- Target may have them, Best Buy, Costco (occasionally) and most vacuum stores carry them now, too.

Jenn

Comment

We have the Dyson DC07 (yellow all floors, non animal model). It cost about $399 but we had a 10% coupon for Target so we got it for about $360. We're loving it. Our entire downstairs is laminate and tile and it's great on those floors and I'm always shocked and disgusted by what it picks up from the carpet upstairs. :dyson: The major reason we decided to spend that much money on a vaccum was Dyson offers a 5 year warranty.

It doesn't steam clean though and I'm not sure if Dyson offers a model that does. Let us know if you find one.
          Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

What does this animal model thing mean?

Do you find that vacumming floors is better than sweeping? I've always swept them in the past because I didn't realize vacuuming would pick up so much. Our new place is 1/2 hardwood floors/tile and 1/2 carpet.

Comment

The animall model is specifically designed to pick up small animal hair, but I know people with pets that have one of the other Dyson's which they love just as much.

I got mine at Bed Bath & Beyond.
              Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I've had my Oreck for 4 years and I still love it. I like that it has bags so I can take a well-contained package out of the machine and throw it away without scattering any dust. I like that it fills those bags from the bottom up so it doesn't scatter much dust while vacuuming, and it's efficient so I only go through about a package of bags per year. I like that it weighs only 8 lbs so I can carry a baby in one arm and the vacuum in the other, hop it over and around obstacles, put it up on the couch to vacuum, and hardly break a sweat. It picks up off of tile great, and I'm a recent convert to vacuuming rather than sweeping because it's quick and easy and I think it does less damage to the tile since the grit isn't being pushed around.

Mine came with a separate canister vac with lots of attachments that's great for detail work. For pet and baby messes I have a Bissell Little Green Machine cleaner that cost fifty bucks or so I think.
                Alison

Comment

Rachel, I have the Dyson DC07 non animal and it is worth every penny. I also have two dogs and two cats and it works for all of the pet hair (alot of it!!). I also bought it at target.
                  Luanne

Dyson should pay us for advertising space!
                  Luanne
                  wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Speaking of Dyson - has anyone seen the new hand dryers in public restrooms that are Dyson? You put your hands down into them and air blows from both sides and dries your hands in an instant! It's amazing!!

Comment

We also have the Dyson Animal and love it! I had the Oreck, and it didn't cut it once we got our dog. It didn't have enough suction for dog hair on our carpet. One suggestion - price compare at Bed Bath and Beyond. They send us 20% off coupons all the time, so if it's a comparable price to start with, you could get a great deal. Also, BBandB takes Linens and Things coupons, so that's an option, too.
                      -Deb
                      Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

We have a Miele and a Simplicity....both of them are awesome. They were a bit *spendier* BUT....they came with 2 year warranties and all repairs etc have been free. These babies have been pushed down stairs by a toddler, ridden upon (by same toddler) and stepped on by big toddler (dh :> ) and they are fabulous. They come with wonderful floor attachments and are both cannister vacs instead of uprights.

I could never have another upright now that I've had a cannister.....

kris
                        ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                        ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona
                          We have a Miele and a Simplicity....both of them are awesome. They were a bit *spendier* BUT....they came with 2 year warranties and all repairs etc have been free. These babies have been pushed down stairs by a toddler, ridden upon (by same toddler) and stepped on by big toddler (dh :> ) and they are fabulous. They come with wonderful floor attachments and are both cannister vacs instead of uprights.

I could never have another upright now that I've had a cannister.....

kris

Comment

I recently got a miele canister and it's awesome! I live with all wood floors and thought that sweeping would be okay, but man was I wrong. The floors are soo much cleaners with the miele and it's easier too.

Another vacuum brand I like is Rainbow. They are pretty expensive and bigish but man do they clean! My mom has been using hers for 30 years and it still sucks the living crap out of carpet, floor, etc. What's funny is that people would come over to our house, that had cream colored carpet and three black furred animals and would comment on how clean our carpets were! I think my mom got it originally because my sister had very bad allergies as a kid and due to it's water filter system no dirt gets back into the air (some people find this a pita though).
                            Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

I've been pricing Dysons for a few weeks and with 20% coupons BBB comes out less than Walmart or Target.

Comment

Working...
                              X