Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

YAY! It's starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YAY! It's starting

Today is the day I head to Cleveland for BF's White Coat Ceremony!! After 2 years, this adventure is finally starting! I'm so excited though it is a little bittersweet that I am not there with him full time (job is only in Boston right now) though better for our finances.

I'm so excited and proud of him - and I really want to have a good weekend.
    Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

It will definitly be easier long distance for the first few months. The start of school through the first set of exams is a tough time because they are still trying to figure everything out and, in my experience at least, they study like maniacs for fear of failing so you won't see him anyway. Things settled down for us after the first exams and DH figured out how much he actually needed to study and when he could take breaks. Amy

Comment

Good luck
      Husband of an amazing female physician!

Comment

Whew, it's over and the family just left. I leave to head back to Boston tomorrow AM

It was an awesome ceremony, the speaker was amazing and very inspiring.

I'm really glad that you guys think long distance the first few months will be easier...I'm obviously dreading it but hopeful that you guys are right. Well he's just finished his reading and I'm going to go hang out now but keep your fingers crossed for me.
        Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

My husband and I did the long distance thing the entire time we dated- (ah, the joys of meeting online- 6 weeks online, 3 months home, then the next 10 months one or the other of us was on the road.)

and believe me when I say, when I found a job that required weekly travel during residency- I jumped at the chance. I discovered that there's no need to make or keep yourself miserable during this training process if you don't have to! (and I'll bet you 99% of the rest of the group would have gladly escaped if not the entire process, at least large chunks of it)

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn
            My husband and I did the long distance thing the entire time we dated- (ah, the joys of meeting online- 6 weeks online, 3 months home, then the next 10 months one or the other of us was on the road.)

and believe me when I say, when I found a job that required weekly travel during residency- I jumped at the chance. I discovered that there's no need to make or keep yourself miserable during this training process if you don't have to! (and I'll bet you 99% of the rest of the group would have galdly escaped if not the entire process, at least large chunks of it)

Jenn
            Listen to Jenn, she's very wise

Comment

So you all didn't find it hard to put all the pressure on visits? I guess I assumed that if I could see him for little snippets each day it would be easier than coming for whole weekends at a time - for both his studies and us.

I guess I was seeing med school as a job (albeit a very intense one) so that if I lived there it would be like any other stressful thing but at least I could kiss him goodnight and we could share chores. I feel like it's going to be hard to be so focused on visits - I know he's going to ignore work and stress himself out when I visit - and it's exhausting to keep traveling back and forth.

Comment

We were long distance the first 2 years of med. school--we were dating then, not married. It was a 3 hour drive. It was totally fine. He was probably able to study better since I wasn't around. I missed him when we were apart but the weekends we got to see each other...well, those were fantastic!
                Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                X