Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Which Hawaiian Island Do You Prefer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Hawaiian Island Do You Prefer?

We're planning on taking a trip this winter, sometime in January. We've been to Kauai, but are thinking about trying another island. Any suggestions? Where's the best food?

Also does anyone have any recommendations about lodging? We'll have the dudes (twin 3-year-olds) and so we spend most of the time by the pool.

Thanks!

My vote is for Kauai or the big island.

I haven't been to Hawaii but my mom thinks it would be a good family vacation. She likes Hawi.

Comment

the one someone will take me to.

Comment

We've been to both Oahu and the Big Island, and we prefer the Big Island. It is more laid back and less touristy than Oahu. It's been 5 years since we have been, and can't wait to go again "some day."
        Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

I guess it depends what you like. The big island is more relaxed and has some cool places to see, but with kids (and I haven't gone with kids) I'd do Oahu. Fun and memorable things aside from the pool; Matsumoto's shave ice, the chinatown duck (get a whole duck chopped into pieces), hanauma bay is a chance for even little kids to swim with tropical fish, if I can remember the name there's a place to eat in one of the hotels that has a huge aquarium tank where you can watch the fish as you eat. Plus there are all the comforts of a big city in case you need to find your way to a mall. The big island will be cheaper though and the volcanoes totally memorable. Can I come?

Comment

With kids I recommend Maui. We've done both Kuaui and Maui and Maui is definitely more family friendly IMO. The Kaanapali area is beautiful, several very nice hotels in the area with a GREAT beach! There is a GREAT sushi restaurant in the Kapalua area which is just a few minutes north of the Kaanapali area, it too is kid friendly.
            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

DH and I went to Hawaii on our honeymoon last March. We went to both Oahu and Maui, and we LOVED Maui. We pricelined a hotel in the Kaanapali beach area (got the Sheraton for $225 a night). It was still pricey, but nice knowing that we had an awesome resort hotel for basically half price.

There were lots of kids in that area, so it seemed family friendly to me.

Oahu was too urban for what we were looking for. I'm glad we went because we got to see Pearl Harbor and we went up to the North Shore, but if/when we go back, we'll skip Oahu. Granted, we stayed in Waikiki Beach, and I'm sure there are less congested areas to stay on the island.

I've also heard that Kauai and the big Island are great places to visit. Next time, I'd like to split between Maui and Kauai.
              Wife to a urologist; Mom to 2 wonderful kiddos

Comment

I'll put another plug in for Maui, since it's the only Island I've stayed at for more than a night or two (thanks to relatives with a condo near Lahaina). There's a pretty cool aquarium on Maui the kids might like, too.
                Sandy
                Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

We just went to Maui so ofcourse I'd recommend Maui. I've only been to Maui but everyone that we know that has been to multiple islands all agree that Maui is the best. There's tons of stuff to do but it is not all "crowded" and "city" (high raises) like the big island or Oahu. We stopped in Oahu and saw it from over head and I was a little turned off by how "city" it was. We stayed in South Kihei in a time share. I thought it was the perfect location bc Kihei has a local feel (and cheaper prices) but South Kihei borders Wailea which is this amazing resort town with beautiful beaches. We went to Lahaina and Kaanapali and both were nice. We loved everything that we ate in Maui. It was expensive ofcourse but there wasn't a meal that I didn't enjoy. And the fresh fruit and the market stands... yum.

Comment

Thanks, thanks for the advice. And did I forget to mention that everyone was invited?!

Comment

Of course you can always try to make friends with someone in the Air Force as there is apparently a gorgeous black sand beach the the AF owns... I think on Oahu.

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by Genivieve
                        the one someone will take me to.

Comment

Shoot. I just lost my post.

I agree that the North Shore of Oahu is beautiful. There is lots to see and do in Oahu, especially once you get away from Waikiki (not that it's a bad spot to be for a while). I think that anyone who visits there should make some time to see Pearl Harbor. I haven't been to the North Shore with kids so I don't know about kid appopriate beach/ocean access.

A great guidebook is the Ultimate series by Andrew Doughtry. There is one for Kauai and Maui, Hawaii and Oahu. They have a keiki (sp?) section for kid specific stuff. Check their website for updates to the print versions.

Comment

I found this just in time. Totally writing all of these recommendations down. We're planning on going to Hawaii in November for my birthday. Anyone else have a book recommendation? We usually like Time Out series, as we're not much interested in the family friendly options.

Are there any must do's or see's? I've heard that black sand beach and volcanos are def a must. Anything else?

Comment

Julie, I would still recommend that book. It has family friendly suggestions but isn't specific to families.

Comment

Working...
                              X