Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Which Hawaiian Island Do You Prefer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Nellie. I'll go look it up on Amazon.

Comment

Julie,
      When I get home I'll give you the name of the Kauai book we used, if you're thinking of going there. We loved it - its written by a local.
      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Couldn't agree more with the Maui comments. We went to Maui and Kauai as kids and absolutely ADORED Maui. Kauai was nice too but it was definitely quieter and the area where we stayed had really rocky beaches. We went out in the surf on the first day and my mom got tossed and cut her leg - well that was the end of the beach on Kauai!

Maui in the Kannapali area was gorgeous with wide safe beaches and the little Whalers Village right on the beach has cute shops and a museum that I'm sure your boys would adore (huge whale skeletons, etc.)

Don't skip 'Cheeseburger in Paradise' in Lahania (10 minutes from Kaanapali) if you don't go to Maui. It's got great burgers and live music almost every night.
        Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
        Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

I have only been to Oahu, and would definitely take my kids there. We'd probably try to go to the island with the volcanoes (don't know which one that is) b/c there is a military resort there. And yes, there is a major and beautiful hotel for the military in Waikiki too.

But, I think you can't go wrong. Go island hopping, maybe? A few days at Oahu to go snorkeling (wading for the kiddos- they can wade way out there and see fish- but bring the water-shoes), and then a few days to unwind somewhere else...

I loved the North Shore and found it PLENTY isolated for my taste. I do not mind the big city stuff at all, though. The "Germaine's" Luau on Oahu was not our favorite, so if you do do Oahu, and want a Luau, go with the one at the Polynesian Cultural Center. I think it would be better.
          Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Originally posted by Suzy Sunshine
            Julie,
            When I get home I'll give you the name of the Kauai book we used, if you're thinking of going there. We loved it - its written by a local.
            Cheri that would be great. My planning is at the very early stages. I really need to get my hands on a book or two and read up on the islands.

Comment

It's called "The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook, Kauai Revealed" by Andrew Doughty and Harriett Friedman.

Enjoy!
              Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn
                Of course you can always try to make friends with someone in the Air Force as there is apparently a gorgeous black sand beach the the AF owns... I think on Oahu.

Jenn
                My dad is retired USMC, and dh was in the Air National Guard. When my dad was stationed on Oahu we spent the first month staying at the Hale Koa- highly recommend it if you are military. The last 2 times we have gone to Oahu we have stayed there, and our room with partial ocean view was $89 a night and it is on Waikiki. Also again for those military types- we love the Kilauea Military Camp (KMC) situated in Volcanoes National Park. We stayed in a bungalow with a kitchen, and they have a small store there so you can get groceries.

On the Big Island I have heard great things about the Hilton resort there in Kona.

I will post more later- I have screaming kids and it's time for dinner.
                Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

I'm just jealous!!! I would be happy with the "Jersey Shore" at this point.
                  Luanne
                  wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Our favorite is Kauai, but with kids I'd say Maui is a better bet.

If you go to Kauai, stay in the Poipu area.....lots of white sand beaches. The south side of Maui (Kihei/Wailea) has beautiful white sand beaches as well and they are relatively uncrowded.

Originally posted by ekreter
                    Don't skip 'Cheeseburger in Paradise' in Lahania (10 minutes from Kaanapali) if you don't go to Maui. It's got great burgers and live music almost every night.
                    Now all I can think about is Cheeseburger in Paradise! It was always our first stop on the island. If you do go, be sure to request an oceanfront table.

Comment

LMAO @ Luanne. That was similar to my thoughts when I read the subject of this thread.

That said, my cousin lives in Maui and does private concierge work. Tell her I sent you.

http://www.mauiprivateconcierge.com

Comment

Working...
                      X