Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

City Reviews...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• City Reviews...

So.....instead of a residency review thing it seems like reviewing cities that we live in would be a better approach.

Can you guys brainstorm with me of what we could include? I have installed a standard wiki application (Angie's suggestion) and I'll enter any info in there that we get (unless some of you know how to do it).

I was thinking of a review of cities along the lines of

city/state
    cost of living
    average home prices
    areas where many med spouses live (if there are some)
    renting vs buying

best schools to attend
    activities to do with kids (including links to those things when possible)

cultural events

Anything else?

kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

For the military spouses, they'll need to know things like where the best PX/BX is, where people live in relation to the bases, any pertinent information such as "pediatric medicine is farmed out to civilians".

Jenn

Comment

uh ... is there a Trader Joes?

Comment

Do they have real Asian cuisine and/or real Asian markets?

Comment

and Farmer's Markets- can you find a vegetable within the city limits that was grown nearby?

(um, no)

and we need to have EVERYONE who lives in the areas pitch in, especially in the large metro areas. I can speak to living in parts of DC and parts of the DC burbs but not all of them, that's for sure, and the implications are HUGE when it comes to commuting times to the various hospitals and med schools.

I can speak to downtown San Antonio but not the 'burbs here, either. (thankfully)

Jenn

Comment

This is a great idea Kris! I love it. Nothing to add, of course!
            Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

We tried having area reviews a part of the residency reviews, but I think the whole "review the program" thing was just a bit too much. Angie told me for years, but you know how stubborn I am...I refused to listen.

It seems like we really have a lot of posts lately asking certain questions about different cities.

I'll keep this post active for a little while longer and then....I'll start compiling a list...and then...I'll check back with you guys again for some reworking.

Kris

Comment

Commute issues - traveling on the highways, traveling in the city area, It seems some towns have horrible hwy systems that just clog up everything.

Physical Outdoor Community - I know we as a family are very active and we really enjoy being in an area where people are walking, running, biking all the time. Also add if the area is strong in one area, biking clubs, or hiking clubs whatnot

Comment

Originally posted by madeintaiwan
                  Do they have real Asian cuisine and/or real Asian markets?
                  ditto - ethnic grocery stores are great, when looking seriously at the towns, I looked up Asian, Mexican and Indian/Pakistan to get a feel of the community represented

Comment

Good websites with information about the city, things to do, kids, etc.
                    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

where to get your hair done - salon names and stylist names

Comment

Nightlife - not everyone has kiddos.
                        Dog Parks

Comment

and the activities that are guaranteed to never miss with the visiting relatives while you're stuck schleping them around town while your spouse is stuck at work...

Jenn

Comment

Alison,

Way back when we DID have the wiki set up. Our users just didn't know how to enter the information/create new pages etc....

I actually have reset up the wiki and am in the process of putting the organizational touches on it.

Everyone is WELCOME to enter their OWN information, of course....obviously, it would be a time saver for me!

Kris

Comment

Just FYI...I posted that last remark on the fly...I'm sorry that some people were offended...I just don't have time to sit down and weigh everything that I say right now. On a re-read, it does sound like short/sweet comment...but I rarely get to come here and post something longer than that because of Aidan and Zoe...

As I type this, Zoe is standing on the top of the kitchen table....AND.....I have 5 kids other than my own here playing sword fights and eating all of our popsicles. I just popped in for a second ....and I have discovered that there are some hurt feelings.

I did not mean to imply something negative....about anyone....I have never meant to imply anything negative about anyone regarding the set-up of this site.

I do get frustrated sometimes because it can be a ton of work.....but.....I welcome all comments and suggestions and particularly offers of help....

I am thrilled that people might be able to enter their own information right now AND I did given credit to Angie for this idea in the past.....and say that it has been my failure to get things moving in the direction that everyone HERE at this website has wanted.

Comment

Working...
                              X