Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Gaming systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think my husband would be extremely disappointed if Nikolai ends up in medicine!

I think this is going to have to be one of those things where our house will have all the fun outdoor toys (we're going to get a swingset thing like Sally has for next summer) and his neighborhood friends can have the indoor stuff.

I do want him to know and love the computer but I would be happy if the TV was never turned on again.

Jenn

Comment

My DH is a gamer and we have a butt-load of systems. The one used most, by far, is the Wii. He and all three kids absolutely LOVE it. Heck, I even play with it occasionally.

What I like about is that it gets my kids up off their duffs doing something. They're not just sitting their butts in front of the TV. We're all laughing, playing around, and being silly with each other. (And, BTW, the boxing game will give you a decent little workout, if you do it right.)

Comment

I (reluctantly) have to agree with the social thing re: video games. Not at Nikolai's age, certainly, but maybe later on, unless you are lucky enough to be surrounded with people that feel exactly as you do on the subject. Videogame chatter was the universal ice-breaker for my oldest as he tried to make his way in numerous new school situations. We really have had fun as a family playing some of the games, too.

Sally
        Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

I was curious about the current price so I checked amazon.com. They have plenty in the high $300s.

I agree that it seems (coming from someone with younger kids so not really in hhe know) that having gaming systems is very much the norm. I am interested in the primary research and what exactly was concluded wrt hand eye coordination. At what age does the pressure to be gaming start?

We will probably never buy one, but there is a very good chance that we will receive one as a gift in a few years, asked for or not.

Comment

I know that the game systems can be important socially.....but unfortunately, to me it seems to be the sole focus for my 12 1/2 year old. He eats/sleeps and breaths the games...as do his friends. It is all that they talk about...and it concerns me.
            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

For me, games and gaming systems are a sanity saver. We're a one vehicle family in the summer while living in an area that gets entirely too hot for the kids to play outside. (DH takes his motorcycle during the wintertime. Summertime is just entirely too hot to ride. And then with monsoon season...well, you see the problem.)

We don't really have the luxury of simply piling into the car and going somewhere cooler for them to play. They're kind of stuck inside our house during the summer. We do a lot of board games, reading, arts & crafts, and play games on the TV to break the monotony. They don't get to play it everyday, but it's a nice treat occasionally. Honestly, if they ever get to the point where they live/breath it, we'll be using it FAR less often.

The Wii also adds to our Friday Night Pajama Party repertoire of movies and board games.

Comment

Wii, hands down! All around good family fun, and the boys love it!

Comment

Working...
                X