Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Hall pass request. Reason: TS Dean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hall pass request. Reason: TS Dean

I may have to take a leave of absence as Dean is almost upon us. It's predicted it will be a category 2 hurricane by the time it hits the Lesser Antilles on Friday evening or Saturday morning. I'm praying it keeps a west course rather than west north west and that it passes south of us.

It's almost certain that power will go out so I'm not counting on being able to get in touch with people until all this is over. We have plenty of water, flashlights, batteries, and a battery powered radio. We're getting some more non perishable foods today, withdrawing money from the ATM, and filling up the tank just in case. Is there anything else I'm forgetting? This would be my first hurricane and I'm a little worried.
    Cristina
    IM PGY-2

DH (Mr. disaster preparedness) says:

Prescription medications, if any.

Pack up anything like family photos, papers, etc. into something waterproof, and maybe throw in a scrap of paper with name/address.

Have everything ready to go in case they feel like they need to get out of the house.

Preagreed-on meeting place for getting back together - this can be as simple as "we'll both call Aunt Martha back stateside to get back in touch with each other"

Good luck! Here's hoping Dean manages to miss you!
    Sandy
    Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

-LOTS of ice in the freezer, it's a luxury after the power goes out. Move it to several small coolers after the power goes out so you can take out a little at a time w/o exposing it all to the heat

-more water - fill up your tub, you'll need this to flush the toilets

-candles and matches

-pet food

-medicine refills

Good luck to you.

Comment

No advice but good luck to you!
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

i was thinking of you last night. i was on valueMD then watched the weather chanel. i hope things are okay down there. those islands are NOT the place to be during a storm. they're so ill prepared.*shudders at the memory* thinking of you, cristina.

big hugs!
          ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Wishing you fair skies and a safe week!
            Enabler of DW and 5 kids
            Let's go Mets!

Comment

No kidding. Makes Baltimore seem safe.

Jenn

Comment

No suggestions. Just be careful and report back when the storm passes?

Oh, maybe aparazzi: From the window?

Comment

Good luck! I hope the storm misses you.

Kate
                  Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

Here's hoping Dean is a giant wussie.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions and well wishes.

We're stocked up. No pets to think of and unfortunately we only have a shower stall so we can't save water. But there's a giant cistern full of water right under my dining table so we can tap that if needed.

This is more for my sanity. Water, non perishables, flashlights, batteries, candles, matches, papers in waterproof container, gas in car, phone cards, some games to pass the time.

I'll try to take photos of the "wussie" Dean but if it gets bad our landlady will help us board the windows AND the door so there'll be no photos of the worst bits.
                      Cristina
                      IM PGY-2

Comment

Originally posted by Bittersweet
                        Here's hoping Dean is a giant wussie.
                        be safe.

if Matt checks in he might have some words of advice. he's been through a few in FL.

Comment

Needs

Comment

For the last few in FL, mom prepared several gas-grillable meals and froze them ahead of time. They cooked on the gas grill when the power was out for a week. Also agree with coolers of ice and food so you don't have to thaw the whole lot at once.

Mom said the worst part of the 05 season was being without water/indoor toilets for a week.

Most of the hurricanes I've been through have been really windy thunderstorms. But I've not been through anything bigger than a 3 directly.
                            Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Good advice from everyone...I have nothing more to add really, hope that it skirts around you.

You can send it our way....we need a new roof.

Comment

Working...
                              X