Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

vacation help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vacation help

Next week (9/3) Jory and I are going to take the week off. We have no plans. We are thinking of getting a cabin on a lake anywhere north of here (NJ) but don't want to spend 10 hours in the car. We (I) also want to take the dogs with us. Any suggestions?
    Luanne
    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Well, if it weren't for the dogs and wanting to go North, I know of a lovely B&B in South Carolina.

I'm just saying...
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Re: vacation help

Originally posted by Luanne123
      Next week (9/3) Jory and I are going to take the week off. We have no plans. We are thinking of getting a cabin on a lake anwhere north of here (NJ) but don't want to spend 10 hours in the car. We (I) also want to take the dogs with us. Any suggestions?
      I do know that there is a cute little lake in Upstate NY, called Chazy Lake. I know there are a ton of lakes in the NY area, including Lake Placid, the fingerlakes, and Lake George. The only one I have been to was Chazy Lake. We stayed with my college roomates IL's who have a cabin on the lake.

http://www.vacationrentals.com/vacation ... /1739.html

You can peruse lots of nifty rental houses on here. I am sure there would be something that would strike your eye.
      Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Along Luanne's lines... What are people planning for Labor Day weekend? Dh has Fri, Sat, Sun and Mon off. And we're looking for ideas too. I didn't mean to hijack, Luanne!
        married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

glens falls and lake george are nice. they're both in NY..in the adirondacks...not more than 3-4 hrs from you. and you can see annie on the way by.
          ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Lake George is very pretty but gets horribly crowded and touristy around holiday weekends. We also liked the Finger lakes but they're further north. There are also a number of smaller lakes around Poconos (which are much closer to you) but would probably be more expensive and harder to find a rental this close to the date.

If you do decide to go to Finger Lakes and are interested in visiting some wineries, I have a friend who works for one of the bigger ones up there.

Craigslist is a great resource for a rental too.

Comment

http://www.VRBO.com (vacation rentals by owner) is a great site, too.

Comment

love the Finger Lakes area - lots of wineries and local restaurants... b&b's, stuff to do in Ithaca. It's about 4 hours away from you, Luanne... and once you get past the Delaware Water Gap traffic it'll be smooth sailing. I went there about once a month for 3 years while some friends were at Cornell.

Comment

I second the finger lakes. I was up in Ithaca at Cauga lake about two weeks ago and it's really nice. Lots of hiking, parks, lake action (swming, boating, etc.). As well, Ithaca is not your average small town and has some great restaurants, coffee bars, crunchy stores, lots of nice wineries very close together and a few homemade icecream joints. I found it incredibly relaxing, peaceful and quiet. I'm not sure when Cornell starts again, as that might make things a bit more crazy/crowded.
                  Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

My grandparents have (had?) a vacation rental on Great Sacandaga lake. That is about 30 miles to the west of Lake George. We would go there almost every summer. There are lots of houses for rent in the area, and the nice thing is that it is more secluded than Lake George, but close enough that you can go there and eat fabu Italian food and do the tourist stuff.

I think North shore of Sacandaga has more "private beach" lakeside props- that's where my grandparent's are.

Also, something to check out, the Philadelphia orchestra does a summer series up there really close to Lake George/Sacandaga region. They are outdoor concerts (with a pavilion, really nice food, etc) and it is really great. A really superb concert and a gorgeous setting.
                    Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Working...
                    X