Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

New York City?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New York City?

Do people have favorite places to visit in NYC? We are staying with a friend who lives there for labor day weekend. We are going to go to the U.S. Open, but anyone have any places that I really should NOT miss this weekend?

I have only been 2 times before, and the last time was one I would rather forget. So please, feel free to suggest! I'm open for lots of different ideas....and also, does anyone have favorite places to eat in NYC?

Eileen

Re: New York City?

Originally posted by Mrs. McPads
    Do people have favorite places to visit in NYC? We are staying with a friend who lives there for labor day weekend. We are going to go to the U.S. Open, but anyone have any places that I really should NOT miss this weekend?

I have only been 2 times before, and the last time was one I would rather forget. So please, feel free to suggest! I'm open for lots of different ideas....and also, does anyone have favorite places to eat in NYC?

Eileen
    I love the Cloisters. I go every time I'm in town, if I can.

Comment

Oops, sorry, posted on the wrong thread!

Comment

If the weather permits, definitely walk the Brooklyn Bridge. There's a great pizzeria on the Brooklyn side, Grimaldi's. There's often a line on weekends though, hopefully you'll luck out. On the Manhattan side is the other office of TKTS that never has a line.

If you can, try to get a reservation for brunch at Pastis. It's totally touristy but also a great spot for celebrity watching (as is West Village).

Comment

Originally posted by Vishenka69
          If the weather permits, definitely walk the Brooklyn Bridge. There's a great pizzeria on the Brooklyn side, Grimaldi's. There's often a line on weekends though, hopefully you'll luck out. On the Manhattan side is the other office of TKTS that never has a line.

If you can, try to get a reservation for brunch at Pastis. It's totally touristy but also a great spot for celebrity watching (as is West Village).
          I've never been to either place or done either thing, despite several trips to NYC (and one last weekend). I guess that's the problem with going to visit people. I've always been more interested in seeing my friends than the sites.

On my first trip we did a speed walk to lots of places (Monica was determined to give me a better tour that Samir gave my dh). We walked from 38th and Lexington (where she lived) to Rockefeller Center, St. Patricks, Tiffany's, Grand Central Station, SoHo, Mulberry Street, Battery Park, took the Ferry to Staton Island and back (just to do the ferry / get a free look at the Statue of Liberty - we did NOT linger on Staton Island), WTC (this was in '99 ), Wall Street ... ummm, I think that's it. My feet hurt just thinking about it.

Oh and Vishenka - I now know where my friend lives with the ENORMOUS rent: 2nd and 55th. We went to the apartment on Saturday. Quite lovely - but NO WAY WOULD I PAY THAT!

Comment

Wow, these are all great ideas! Thanks!

We are doing the U.S. Open on Saturday night and Sunday morning, so we have the rest of the day and Monday morning to play. I am so excited!

Thanks again, all

Eileen

Comment

Working...
            X